Well Done Barbarians

Well Done Barbarians

StroudieGlaws 12 Oct 2018 14:07 pm said..

I hear that with dwindling numbers playing rugby locally Painswick and Cainscross have used a great new approach by playing friendly matches against other teams by merging their 2nds etc to form Cainswick Barbarians. They play tomorrow at 3.00 at Victory Park against Cirencester 2nds/3rds/vets.
Well done for this as it means that local players can still get a game.
I am sure someone else can give more detail but what a good initiative.
StroudieGlaws
Hero in the making

Re: Well Done Barbarians

Number10 12 Oct 2018 16:31 pm said..

It will be our second game.

First one was really good fun. Close game against Cheltenham civil service which we won.
Number10
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Oct 2018 12:00 pm said..

What a great initiative...….and demonstrates that 2 neighbouring clubs can work together and ignore the ridiculous tribal rivalry that still exists amongst City-clubs.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1196  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Sheddy Mcshedface 16 Oct 2018 12:12 pm said..

So how does it work if any players are needed for the first team? Are they only allowed to play for one side?
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Oct 2018 22:24 pm said..

???? There is not a club called Cainswick. It is simply those spare players from both clubs merging together to make a team together as they don't have enough for a second XV each.

If a Cainscross player they play for Cainscross and if a Painswick player they play for Painswick. Simples Sheddy !!

Use your nous !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Number10 17 Oct 2018 04:42 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:???? There is not a club called Cainswick. It is simply those spare players from both clubs merging together to make a team together as they don't have enough for a second XV each.

If a Cainscross player they play for Cainscross and if a Painswick player they play for Painswick. Simples Sheddy !!

Use your nous !! ;)

Correct.
Number10
Hall of Famer

GammoGlos 30 Oct 2018 07:14 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:What a great initiative...….and demonstrates that 2 neighbouring clubs can work together and ignore the ridiculous tribal rivalry that still exists amongst City-clubs.

Not sure that's true GM. I play for Gordon League and last season I guested for Spartans, Cryptians and Hucclecote so they could fulfil fixtures. We have also been loaned players from Coney Hill and Hucclecote playing for our Seconds when we were struggling.
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 30 Oct 2018 12:02 pm said..

Good to hear it Gammo. Previously there was zero chance that a player would play for another club.

Maybe it demonstrates how some clubs are struggling with 2nd XV's and keen community players will simply go anywhere for a game ??
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 30 Oct 2018 13:58 pm said..

Well I remember players being loaned between Ross and Drybrook in the early eighties so it is not an entirely new phenomenon.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

Lord Lucan 07 Nov 2018 19:57 pm said..

It’s not new or uncommon, a simple acase of mute making it up as he goes along again, I myself played for a city club yet guested for many others and played alongside guests for my own club from other city teams on many occasions.
Lord Lucan
Hall of Famer

Return to Hartpury RFC & local rugby