Gloucester Gordon League RFC

Gloucester Gordon League RFC

GammoGlos 05 Jul 2020 08:03 am said..

It was nice to pop into the club yesterday for a socially distanced pint.

There were many players there, old and new following all the guidelines. What struck me was how many younger players there were. We as a club have struggled to put out two teams in recent seasons as have many others, relying on vets to fulfill fixtures.

Nathan Carter has done a great job as head coach in difficult circumstances over many seasons. But the club have decided to change direction and much like Gloucester have appointed younger men. Jake Mcmahon, along with his brother Luke and Sam Goatley. So far it's working.

We had 55 at preseason training on Thursday. I don't think I've ever been to a training session where that many have been taking part. There is a real buzz around the club at the moment long may it continue.

Rugby is a great sport and local rugby clubs are special places. Many life long friendships are forged and kids that could well go down the wrong path and encouraged to choose the right track by a wise old head.

I hope that some good things come out of the pandemic and we see more local clubs on the up, more of them putting out second, thirds and vets and the re-emergence of the North Gloucester Combination.

Be good to hear how other local clubs are getting on and preparing for life after lockdown.
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Re: Gloucester Gordon League RFC

Number10 05 Jul 2020 08:58 am said..

All sounds very positive.

The club I play for had about 15 training this week, which is good for us.

However I do fear for local rugby. With all likelihood not starting until january how many will still be around by then?

Hopefully as you say the pandemic might lead to more local clubs picking up local players. Fingers crossed that is the outcome.
Number10
Hall of Famer

GammoGlos 05 Jul 2020 14:00 pm said..

Which club is that Number 10?

You are right we were in two minds about how long pre season might be and when to start. But the lads were keen to get going and we are following all the RFU guidelines. Hopefully the enthusiasm will still be there come September. I have no reason to think it won't.

I really hope there aren't too many casualties in terms of local clubs. There are so many distractions for lads nowadays, that stop them playing local rugby add the current environment to the mix and there may well be a few clubs struggling, which is why we need a healthy combination. John Dix has put a lot of effort towards that prior to lockdown and they ran an u17 team so you never know.

All the best for the season, whenever that might be.
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Number10 05 Jul 2020 14:56 pm said..

Painswick. We have struggled for a few years but numbers were starting to pick up last year so hopefully will continue to go well next season when we start.
Number10
Hall of Famer

GammoGlos 05 Jul 2020 15:09 pm said..

Hope so. I made my debut for Gloucester civil service against Painswick 30 years ago. Got a right stuffing in the front row against someone older and wiser than me. Came off the pitch in bits, one of, if not the hardest game I ever played, lessons learnt. Loved every minute of it.
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Gloucester Mute 05 Jul 2020 16:58 pm said..

Gammo - I thought Jake McMahon was coaching/playing @ Old Cryptians ?? Has he come back to The League ?? His family are staunch League people.

My local club Dursley decided against opening yesterday but I popped into The Old Spot for a sneaky pint - blissful !! I know that we'll be fielding 3 teams again this season - 2 in the Leagues and our 3rds/Vets once a month in friendlies. We very sadly lost Ross Reeves our Colts coach and Vet's Captain in April via a heart-attack and hopefully they'll be many who play on in his memory. His son Jack is in the Academy at CG.

I haven't heard about any casualties amongst local clubs in Gloucester or Bristol but I have picked up that some of the money-men/sponsors have taken a pasting due to Covid-19 and therefore the same support may not be about next season. Hopefully the drip-down of better players will help those at the lower levels. People playing rugby for the fun of the game.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2629  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

Number10 05 Jul 2020 17:49 pm said..

Hopefully.
Number10
Hall of Famer

GammoGlos 05 Jul 2020 19:19 pm said..

Hi GM,

Yes Jake is back home. I think the fact that it was his boyhood club that came calling, was the reason he left Cryptians where he was doing a great job. It will also be good to have GG popping in now and again to share his knowledge.

I know it pained Jake and Luke to see the club slipping down the league's and struggling to field two sides. I'm sure they will do their best to rectify that. But as we all know it takes more than a good coach to turn things around. Everyone needs to buy into his vision and commit to the plan.

Good news about the three sides at your club, looks like your youth set up is paying dividends. Do you lose many to other clubs? That can be a challenge in Gloucester.

Really sorry to hear about Ross, he was a good man. No doubt Jack will do him proud. I'm sure your team's will have an extra bit of fire in the tank in his memory. Hopefully we can get a vets side out and pay you guys a visit. Always a good Craic at Durzle.

For me it was always about playing regardless of e level and if the financial situation means that some players are no longer sat on the bench of a bigger club, but playing at a lower league improving the standard that can only be a good thing for local rugby as a whole.
GammoGlos
Hero in the making

Return to Hartpury, Cinderford & Other local rugby