Cornish Pirates 6 Hartpury 0

Cornish Pirates 6 Hartpury 0

RTS2 22 Dec 2019 16:41 pm said..

Great effort down at the Mennaye by Pury against the now 2nd place side. Kept the home side down to just two penalty kicks. That is a major result for them even in defeat. The division is arguably even stronger than last season, and its looking as if Pury are now really getting to grips with the standard of rugby at this level.

Fantastic effort !!.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Re: Cornish Pirates 6 Hartpury 0

westglos 24 Dec 2019 08:17 am said..

+1 RTS2.
westglos
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 31 Dec 2019 12:21 pm said..

Spot on Andy, considering the difference in funding etc.
Lewi7
Posts: 3971  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?

Gloucester Mute 31 Dec 2019 18:01 pm said..

Lewi7 wrote:Spot on Andy, considering the difference in funding etc.

What is the difference ??

There is no salary cap @ Championship level NOR figures published. What are the 2 clubs spending ??
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2624  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

RTS2 01 Jan 2020 10:05 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:
Lewi7 wrote:Spot on Andy, considering the difference in funding etc.

What is the difference ??

There is no salary cap @ Championship level NOR figures published. What are the 2 clubs spending ??

I am uncertain of Pirates spending on players atm but Pury total "staff" costs last season were just over £500,000. My hunch is that Pury players average £20-£25k and Pirates will be at the top of the league spenders at £30 k - £35 k average salary ( excluding Falcons of course who will be considerably higher ).

Dicky Evans said a couple of years ago that operating costs of 1.5 million were in line for a top spending Championship side. Pury cannot afford to spend that amount to operate as their income even with the "top -up" from the RFU is nowhere near that.

The University has a significant controlling interest and the club is a wholly owned subsidiary. The club made a profit last season of £16,000 . Pirates assets are reported to be around £250,000 with share capital issued at 1.6 m from 22,000 paid up shares. The thing is though , that although Pirates are well established at this level they like Pury rely on a lot of voluntary support ; particularly on match day. That is where they have the edge with the local population on the door step.

Financially-speaking though, I would say that they are not that significantly better -off than Pury; and but for the generosity of benefactors like Dicky they would have struggled to survive.
Last edited by RTS2 on 01 Jan 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 01 Jan 2020 11:54 am said..

I guess it all opens up the "can of worms" between a University-run/financed outfit v a private club.

TBH I do not like the unbalanced playing-field which the Championship is - no salary-cap limit + relegated PR club getting a massive 1st year "parachute payment" from PRL v all the others getting much smaller £1/2m RFU payment.

Hartpury College is after all funded by you and I - the tax-payer. Ditto Loughborough College and Exeter University who play in the RFU Leagues. To me they should be playing like-for-like...…..not offering University scholarships to their players.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

RTS2 01 Jan 2020 12:48 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:I guess it all opens up the "can of worms" between a University-run/financed outfit v a private club.

TBH I do not like the unbalanced playing-field which the Championship is - no salary-cap limit + relegated PR club getting a massive 1st year "parachute payment" from PRL v all the others getting much smaller £1/2m RFU payment.

Hartpury College is after all funded by you and I - the tax-payer. Ditto Loughborough College and Exeter University who play in the RFU Leagues. To me they should be playing like-for-like...…..not offering University scholarships to their players.

With the Hartpury case, athough it's controlled by the University, the vast majority of the squad are not full-time students .

Having said this, the history of college sides in England is a proud one and many saw the "demise" of St Lukes College ( for example )in the late 70's as signalling the end of it as a breeding ground for first class rugby and future internationals.

That trend has been reversed by Hartpury to a large extent where there is a door of opportunity to progress from BUCS team to the Club first XV squad ; which given it's history over the last decade as produced many fine players.

The point about offering scholarships to more mature students who have been involved at a higher level of the sport; I don't see as an issue.

I would argue that it gives academy age -group players experience to develop alongside seasoned professionals, and it allows the latter to share that experience and to ( in some cases ) gain valuable further education .No one is going to get rich playing for Loughborough, Exeter University or Hartpury.

Any potential benefit of alumni -related associations and facilities, is offset by the more commercially - orientated benefits of a club who have generous benefactors.

Personally; I have no issue ( having just paid quite a large corporation tax bill yesterday ;) :D ) knowing that hopefully some of it is going to sports-orientated establishments like Hartpury. I doubt much of it will however; but that is another subject ! :D
RTS2
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 01 Jan 2020 13:18 pm said..

Fair enough Andy BUT I also noted that you were very supportive of GRFC's recent massive STH price-hikes (compared to inflation + bearing in mind the lack of stadium-spending).

Possibly a case of "I'm alright Jack" ??

I am told that Hartpury 1st XV pay pretty good salaries + offer free accommodation/transport + "jobs" @ the College. Not exactly how I expect tax-payer/Govt funded educational monies to be spent/squandered. :cry: :cry:
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Saint 06 Jan 2020 12:00 pm said..

Hartpury University RFC operate on a playing budget of less the £350K. As a subsidiary company of the University it's finances are closely scrutinised by external auditors to ensure no public funding is used.

The reality is during it's time in the Championship it has enable 20/21 students per season to experience Championship level rugby, many of whom have moved on to full time contracts with other clubs including Gloucester. In providing that opportunity it helps the University recruit future students. The same rationale exists for Loughborough and Exeter Universities.
Saint
Senior squad member

Return to Hartpury, Cinderford & Other local rugby