No rugby this season for national league clubs eg Cinderford

On the board

Re: No rugby this season for national league clubs eg Cinder

23 Jan 2021 10:48 am:

As much as it pains me, it's for the best. I'm longing to have a trot around the paddock. I don't have many derbies left in me.

It's not until something like this that you see how local sport has such an impact on people's well-being.

Having said all that the figures shown yesterday were an eye opener and we need to do the right thing for a little longer.
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 11:23 am:

Agreed. Bigger picture + clubs have appeared to have been more resilient during pandemic. No rugby saves money.

Big issue will be player-return after 18 months away.....bar training.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 13:22 pm:

To try and put a positive spin on things I am hopeful that with working from home becoming the norm in the future it will mean that, those who have maybe gone away from the game due to other commitments, are able to play again.

People can now get to training when they would have been commuting and can get down the rugby club on a Saturday afternoon as they have been at home during the week so will have had the chance to spend quality time with family that they wouldn't before.

Maybe optimistic but you never know.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 14:51 pm:

I imagine there will be a few people who won't play again. Not missed playing, found something different etc but I also imagine there will be some people return to the game. Had enough of being at home and want to get out and play again etc.

It will be interesting to see if the overall numbers will go up or down. I hope they will stay similar but maybe different people
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 15:29 pm:

General Gordon wrote:As much as it pains me, it's for the best. I'm longing to have a trot around the paddock. I don't have many derbies left in me.

It's not until something like this that you see how local sport has such an impact on people's well-being.

Having said all that the figures shown yesterday were an eye opener and we need to do the right thing for a little longer.

Stay fit ( and safe ) General ! . I am sure you'll be well up for the next derby .

I think that the stresses of organising the fixtures safely will be for most clubs a lot to deal with. At least they now have some clarity. Lets hope the RFU; WRU , the Scottish set up and the Gov't /WAG/ SA recognise the semi-professional structure in terms of a survival package at least to National one and two levels.

Rugby clubs are of course a central part of many communities. They give opportunity for players to develop and lets not forget the massive mini-rugby set -ups all over the UK . I am sure measures will be put in place. With rugby social clubs closed too it must be a tough time right down to the grass roots of the sport in the UK.

I imagine many clubs are relying on volunteers and donations to keep facilities and grounds maintained and presumably ready for next season, where additional Health and Safety measure will presumably be required even down to things like showering and changing facilities ?.

Not easy for many clubs to self-fund without external support.
Hall of Famer

23 Jan 2021 19:06 pm:

There have been a series of hand-outs to all lower level amateur and semi-pro clubs plus other assessed grants are available. Just hope that the money is spent slowly and wisely. And not on players.....

The pro clubs have access to loans plus other help.

They can all survive.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 14:56 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:There have been a series of hand-outs to all lower level amateur and semi-pro clubs plus other assessed grants are available. Just hope that the money is spent slowly and wisely. And not on players.....

The pro clubs have access to loans plus other help.

They can all survive.

Lets hope so GM John. What about the lower leagues ?.

What is your approach been at Dursley RFC ?. I'm curious as to what HSE guidelines might be circulating to lower league clubs in relation to measures that are likely to be in place. I am assuming that guidelines will be required to be in place prior to the commencement to training and fixtures ?. Would be interested to get your insight from first-hand experience.
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 19:07 pm:

Lower level clubs have all been able to access various foRms of help if needed. As stated it is better financially to have no rugby being played !

All instructions and guidance re. Return to Rugby are clear and being sent from Govt and Sport England via RFU. The hope is that all clubs will heed the advice and requirements. With self-monitoring by sensible people and parents this had happened. Ditto those clubs that opened up for food/drink.

There have been Covid police scanning websites and reporting rivals based on social media but nobody wants little Hitlers imposing draconian rules, regs and sanctions. A route I know you support........ :roll: :roll:
Hall of Famer

24 Jan 2021 21:25 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
There have been Covid police scanning websites and reporting rivals based on social media but nobody wants little Hitlers imposing draconian rules, regs and sanctions. A route I know you support........ :roll: :roll:

I am unsure how Hitler or little Hitlers enter the discussion John ; but hey .

If people breaks rules though even in sport they deserve to be punished .... ;)

So; what about your club John ?. Interested in hearing about a real situation and not just the general situation ; but thanks for the information.

I was talking to one of the committee at one of my old clubs in Wales last week . They have worked hard on the maintenance side. I think the WRU have been pretty supportive but naturally the social club side of things has all but died for now. Massive impact with cash flow.
Next

Return to Hartpury, Cinderford & Other local rugby