Travellers camp on Cirencester RFC

Hall of Famer

Travellers camp on Cirencester RFC

20 Apr 2021 11:49 am:

It's been reported that having only just opened up that Cirencester RFC have had to close as a result of 23 travellers parking up on the ground on Saturday night. The police and local council have been informed, but no immediate action taken because it's private land.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Hall of Famer

Re: Travellers camp on Cirencester RFC

20 Apr 2021 11:53 am:

[Edited]

IF they come down to Stinchcombe I don't anticipate our Durzle players will let them stay......

You would have hoped that the authorities and police would be more than willing to help. I heard that the club will have to look after and pay for the whole matter of eviction and clean-up themselves. Poor civil duties.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

20 Apr 2021 12:51 pm:

The law is a joke on this. It takes you a month to get an eviction order and for the Police to implement it. They then have a few days grace as they always claim one of their children is in the local hospital and the Police give them a few more days.
Vice-Captain

20 Apr 2021 13:02 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:The law is a joke on this. It takes you a month to get an eviction order and for the Police to implement it. They then have a few days grace as they always claim one of their children is in the local hospital and the Police give them a few more days.

Let's hope the club are getting better legal advice than the above ;)

Using Common law
Common law, Section 61 of the Criminal Justice Act, states that landowners have the right to remove travellers from their land using ‘reasonable force’ if required. You do need to have Certified Enforcement officers (once known as bailiffs) involved in the process to ensure it is legal and correct.
In order to start the process of common law, a representative of the landowner (usually an enforcement officer) will need to ask the trespassers to leave their property. Then a period of time, normally 24 hours, needs to be allowed for them to leave your land. If they have not left after this time then the enforcement officers can make the trespassers leave using no more than reasonable force. When they are removed, the officers will take photos of any damaged caused and that the land is secure.
Although, as stated earlier, the police cannot directly help with the eviction, the enforcement agency will normally request a police presence to ensure there are no breaches of the peace. The exception where the police are allowed to get involved, is if any of the following are carried out by 2 or more trespassers:
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
Hall of Famer

20 Apr 2021 14:01 pm:

They have moved in to fields used by Haywards Heath RFC here in Sussex too. It's quite frustrating that after months of lockdown children are being denied sport by this trespassing. If I set up camp in my neighbours large garden would I be given this much time to be asked to leave?
Site Admin

20 Apr 2021 16:28 pm:

I'm going to uphold the complaint received for the use of a racist term.

Regardless of the etymology of the word or its prevalence in the everyday lexicon, using it pejoratively in relation to the traveller community is unlawful according to the Equality Act 2010.

As such, I have edited the post to remove the word.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-a ... imination/
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

20 Apr 2021 17:45 pm:

Apologies SW Admin. Did not mean to cause you harm OR expect there would be a complainant. Guess who ?!?!

I spoke earlier to a mate up in Ciren who tells me that there are 30+ caravans/homes parked up on their rugby pitches and the nice people from them have been causing major issues all around the town in shops/public places, using the woods as lavatories and generally being complete wrong 'uns. The police and Council are unable to exercise any legal restraints on them however unlawfully they are acting because they have "human rights".

Was totally wrong therefore of me to describe them as a naughty racist word. Nice people really..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sigh. What a world we live in...........
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

20 Apr 2021 18:18 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Apologies SW Admin. Did not mean to cause you harm OR expect there would be a complainant. Guess who ?!?!

I spoke earlier to a mate up in Ciren who tells me that there are 30+ caravans/homes parked up on their rugby pitches and the nice people from them have been causing major issues all around the town in shops/public places, using the woods as lavatories and generally being complete wrong 'uns. The police and Council are unable to exercise any legal restraints on them however unlawfully they are acting because they have "human rights".

Was totally wrong therefore of me to describe them as a naughty racist word. Nice people really..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sigh. What a world we live in...........

Naughty boy John ;) :)

You have to feel for Ciren. Really. Been through the last 12 months and just want to get re-started and their ground back. The Law as they say is an @@s
Site Admin

20 Apr 2021 18:58 pm:

I know. Fingers crossed it gets resolved soon in a peaceful manner.

I’m not condoning any of their actions, and am completely familiar with their MO, so I know how frustrating it must be.

I have my own experiences of that particular way of life, having lived my formative years in a caravan.

The accepted values and boundaries of the zeitgeist unerringly creep on and if not careful we can find ourselves using terminology that falls outside of what is considered acceptable to many. Hands up, I certainly do sometimes and I have to check myself before unloading a barrage onto a situation. I consider myself reasonably woke, but still struggle to keep up with those at the vanguard of society’s thinking. Broad church and all that.

The law, perhaps in this case could also be described as ‘ahead of many people’s thinking’, but must still be upheld, equitably.

Gingers are still fair game tho.. :D
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

22 Apr 2021 11:17 am:

Apparently the very nice people have physically left but mementoes of their visit - human/dog excrement, litter, bonfires etc; - remained. Reports of chaos in Cirencester with pilfering, intimidation, shop-lifting, stealing, un-paid bills.

The club have had to entirely bear the cost of legal fees and now tidy-up with no assistance from local Council and hardly any from police. Up to £10 grand that they don't have.

What a weird world we live in that such nice people are protected by the Law and no-one can say anything nasty about them for fear of discrimination, racism and abusing their human rights. :roll: :roll:
Next

Return to Hartpury, Cinderford & Other local rugby