Coney Hill RFC woes

Coney Hill RFC woes

Gloucester Mute 11 Sep 2018 15:08 pm said..

Rumours have just reached Durzle that Coney Hill have had a major collapse player-wise.

Last season a money-man gave them a wad of loolah (25k) for attracting 1st team players. In came a bunch of mercenaries (from Hartpury and Glos Uni) and their regular local club guys walked away. Promotion to Level 6 came on the back of the influx and nearly a Cup Final place at Twickahs.

Now the money-man has walked away after 1 season and the mercenaries have also gone leaving the club in real disarray and just fielding a barely adequate team playing as the "1st" team. Been humped in their first two League games and withdrawn their other teams from the Merit Tables. Not a good outlook facing them and only early-September.

Hopefully demonstrates how money for players can completely blight a grass-roots club. Sad - and hopefully they'll be wiser. But I doubt it...…...
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 18 Sep 2018 04:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 1128  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Re: Coney Hill RFC woes

Cherryade 15 Sep 2018 10:37 am said..

I hope they can turn it around and carry on as a club....like them or loath them they are another traditional local club for the shire and its a shame to see any local team struggle or even worse fold.
Cherryade
Senior squad member

Re: Coney Hill RFC woes

Number10 16 Sep 2018 05:28 am said..

Cherryade wrote:I hope they can turn it around and carry on as a club....like them or loath them they are another traditional local club for the shire and its a shame to see any local team struggle or even worse fold.

Yes I agree. Sad to see they conceded their game this saturday
Number10
Hall of Famer

Return to Hartpury RFC & local rugby