Mike Poole R.I.P.

Mike Poole R.I.P.

TheOptimistSenior 16 Jan 2019 16:00 pm said..

Mike Poole, a founder member and President of Newent RFC, died on 6th January 2019. Mike received a B.E.M. for his services to local rugby and charity, in the Queen's Honours.
A larger than life character, who gave his all for Newent RFC, he will be sorely missed.
Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

Re: Mike Poole R.I.P.

Carbunkle Juice 16 Jan 2019 20:27 pm said..

Very sad times for Newent Rugby club. Their Chairman John Moore also sadly passed away this weekend.

John - lovingly known to everyone involved with the club as “The General” will be greatly missed by all.

The recent success that the club have enjoyed is due in large part to the tireless hard work that Mike and John put in behind the scenes.

The link below is to a video made in the run up to Newents second visit to Twickenham. It shows the love that both gents had for their club.

https://youtu.be/InFL3RQG42w
Carbunkle Juice
On a trial

Ranny 16 Jan 2019 20:48 pm said..

Very sad to hear. I played a season there in the late 1980s between school and college. The club was at a low ebb and was held together by little more than good intentions and Mike's determination. It has been heartening to see the club and the country rewarding that determination over recent years. Long may it flourish as a memorial to Mike - as kind and inclusive a man as you could wish to meet.
Ranny
Turns out for the A team

TheOptimistSenior 16 Jan 2019 21:42 pm said..

I didn't know that John had died this weekend. Very, very sad news indeed, for his family. I knew John. He and Mike, as you say CJ, were central to the "rebirth" of the club in the late 80's/90's.
I played with Mike for several seasons in the late 70s and early 80s and he was a real character and totally committed to the Newent cause and the upcoming youngsters in the club. The YouTube video shows clearly their love for the club.
What local grass roots rugby was (and hopefully, still is) about.
TheOptimistSenior
Vice-Captain

JFG 16 Jan 2019 22:37 pm said..

RIP Mike !
I played in the front row with Mike whilst I was a youngster ( early 1980) and he was apparently passed it.
I learnt and witnessed an awful lot in a short period of time.
An absolute legend of the game and of Newents history! He will be sadly missed by many.
JFG
Senior squad member

Return to Hartpury RFC & local rugby