O/T - General Election

Re: O/T - General Election

Steve M 16 Dec 2019 11:37 am said..

GlawsyD wrote:KPB,

With the game against Toulouse currently scheduled for 19 Jan 2020, I believe your duty free allowance and use of the EU passport channel to be assured! - however, such guarantees might not apply when we appear in the Quarter Finals round. :?

By the time Gloucester appear in the Quarter Finals round many of us currently posting may be too old to travel anyway ...
The only problem with doing nothing is not knowing when you have finished.
Steve M
Hall of Famer

Castle Grim Reaper 16 Dec 2019 12:42 pm said..

GlawsyD wrote:With the game against Toulouse currently scheduled for 19 Jan 2020, I believe your duty free allowance and use of the EU passport channel to be assured! - however, such guarantees might not apply when we appear in the Quarter Finals round. :?

One of the biggest jokes of the whole remain argument, anybody who went to the Montpelier game will have stood for ages in the passport queue, it took a lot longer than it does in the USA and this wasn't a one-off occurrence.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

vitesse 16 Dec 2019 19:13 pm said..

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:
GlawsyD wrote:With the game against Toulouse currently scheduled for 19 Jan 2020, I believe your duty free allowance and use of the EU passport channel to be assured! - however, such guarantees might not apply when we appear in the Quarter Finals round. :?

One of the biggest jokes of the whole remain argument, anybody who went to the Montpelier game will have stood for ages in the passport queue, it took a lot longer than it does in the USA and this wasn't a one-off occurrence.

I live in Spain and travel back to the UK (fairly) often. Whether it's the airport at Briz or Alicante, I still have to put my PP through the reader machine and have to queue to do so. Before the machine it was a queue to show my pp to a person at the border. Nothing has changed and nothing will.
Posts: 307  Location: Alicante Province, within easy reach of the airport......!
vitesse
Vice-Captain

Lewi7 17 Dec 2019 14:02 pm said..

I locked it, there was a request to do so, but also the election had happened, the result was known and it was on the rugby page. Now it's on the non rugby page it's open to continue posting.
Posts: 3688  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

Sheddy Mcshedface 17 Dec 2019 16:28 pm said..

Well done to Boris for wiping out the gains in value of the pound from the election win.
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

SirHenry 17 Dec 2019 17:41 pm said..

Should have cashed in.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

Lewi7 31 Dec 2019 12:14 pm said..

the setting up of multiple alternative arrangements for all the institutions and agencies that we currently rely on EU membership that cut across many aspects of day to day life, from food to health, to defence and environment etc. etc.

Let's be clear, as the UK pays in more then it gets back, any money the EU spends / funds in the UK is simply UK tax payers money coming back. The UK Gov have & continue to make & implement plans to ensure continuity. The Farming community being main focus.

Any money the EU funds in the UK is purely discretionary too, meaning it's not guaranteed. The EU also fund many projects outside the EU, some completely irrelevant to EU Nationals, but the benefit of those making the decisions, hence why the EU Commission Audit team can't & haven't been able to complete an audit for over 20 years.

Most market indicators have increased, the key being the FTSE 250 & AIM.
Posts: 3688  Location: Back in the 'Shire, how long for I wonder ?
Lewi7

lovejoy 02 Jan 2020 21:40 pm said..

Most market indicators have increased now the uncertainty has been removed but most market indicators are well below expectations prior to June 2016. To suggest Brexit is good for the market is disingenuous in the extreme.
lovejoy
Hero in the making

SirHenry 11 Jan 2020 16:25 pm said..

Indeed, it would be hard to argue against the statement that the negative Brexit effect so far, on the UK far exceeds the amount we pay into the EU.

Standard and Poor estimated that at £66bn back in April.

Johnson has again backed himself into a corner over his self imposed deadline. I expect a free trade agreement of sorts is achievable in that time frame, it's in the EU's interest to do so given they are net exporters of goods. Any trade agreement in Services, is far less likely unless Boris makes concessions in standards and alignment that are contrary to everything he has promised (so not impossible ;) ). A services agreement is far more important to the UK than the EU so imposing a deadline puts us on the back foot from the off.

Whether or no there is net cost in extracting ourselves from and duplicating the multiple alternative arrangements for all the institutions and agencies that we currently rely on EU membership for is moot. What is more important is can they do it effectively in time.

I'll eagerly wait for Mute tediously to tell me that there should be no further discussion of politics ever again as people voted. :roll:
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

SirHenry 17 Jan 2020 17:35 pm said..

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/getting-brexit-done-WEB.pdf

A slightly more detailed definition of the next stages of Brexit than "oven ready"
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Not Rugby