O/T - General Politics thread

On the board

Re: O/T - General Election

07 Feb 2020 13:17 pm:

It's a week since Brexit so the first £350m should be landing on the NHS's doormat just about now. Will they call the new hospital wing St Nigel's or St Boris'?

11 Feb 2020 15:11 pm:

As there isn't a smiley face ;) or wink after your post I take it you really mean what you say, if so then it highlights a mis understanding on your part.

We are now in the Transition period - this will help: https://www.gov.uk/transition

Not alot changes just now, we continue to pay as per our contracted obligation into the EU etc...but there is a huge amount going on behind the scenes to agree new trade deals where none exist between the EU & a 3rd Country.......it'll be this time next year when the questions should and no doubt will be asked as to what the Gov are doing with the payments we would otherwise send to the EU.
On the board

13 Feb 2020 14:42 pm:

So when Johnson said we crossed the Brexit finishing line he was actually...and I can barely bring myself to say the words....fibbing?

13 Feb 2020 17:23 pm:

If you choose to see it & believe it that way that is your choice.

But for clarity, we've left the EU; we are now in a 12 month Transition period, which is all part of the exit process. Boris was clear that the Transition Period would be for 12 months only, the EU wanted 3 years. The process we are in would apply to any PM, but you choose to believe what you want.
On the board

13 Feb 2020 22:42 pm:

I appreciate this but he was massively misleading when he said we’d crossed the Brexit finish line. We have possibly years of negotiations ahead of us to replace the trade deals we are walking away from.

My hope is we are somehow able to negotiate the promised better trade deals, although doing this as part of a smaller trade bloc will be a challenge. I also remember the trade secretary Liam Fox promised 40deals the day after Brexit - where are they?

My fear is that when the promised trade deals don’t arrive the EU are demonised in the media because they don’t roll over for belly rub but try and get the best deal for their members. We are walking away remember.
Hall of Famer

17 Feb 2020 07:50 am:

One tragic thing about Brexit is all of the promises made by the pro leave campaign will go unfulfilled and probably unreported. The Tories will find another thing to vilify *cough* BBC *cough*, rinse and repeat.
Hall of Famer

17 Feb 2020 16:21 pm:

Plenty of fish in the sea around Guernsey, and that's where they are staying right now, causing issues to both French and Guernsey Fishermen alike.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-guernsey-51364513

Daily Express spin... " The Guernsey fishing ban has dealt a bitter blow to French morale" Sign of things to come?
No wonder we are where we are..

Also reported that EU citizens may be denied the pleasure of fresh UK sausages. Seems they do not come under the category of "Oven Ready"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-17/brexit-trade-deal-or-not-u-k-consumers-face-higher-eu-prices

Health Warning: Bloomberg are filthy Remainers and not to be trusted (so I'm told)
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

17 Feb 2020 16:39 pm:

Bloomberg are indeed remainers, although they are now trying to get on side with the UK Gov.

Regarding trade deals

- where the EU has a deal with a 3rd Country
- these deals continue to apply tho the UK whilst in the Transition Period
- The UK Gov have been rolling over these deals, so that when the Transition Period ends the exact same deal will continue, but instead of between the EU & 3rd Country, it'll be between the UK & said 3rd Country (there is also the potential for the UK to improve upon these deals, as they were negotiated and signed off by the EU28, but rolling them over ensures business continuity).

- where there is no EU deal with a 3rd Country
- the UK has in place a significant number of ongoing negotiations with countries.
- The UK Gov has in place MRA (Mutual Recognition Agreements, whereby conformity is recognised) with a number of Countries.

Summary
The UK Gov isn't walking away from any deals; have the plans in place for continuity at the end of Transition Period and have significant ongoing negotiations with countries where the EU doesn't have any deal.
Hall of Famer

17 Feb 2020 16:44 pm:

Stop pretending to talk sense, you are obviously just a fascist :D :D :D

17 Feb 2020 16:49 pm:

Ciderrrr
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby