Exeter - headress

Hall of Famer

Re: Exeter - headress

13 Oct 2021 12:19 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:I agree with the comment made about what the Native North American Indians think about their imaginary being used - they don't like it and have said so. The next question is, should any Club or organisation respect their view ?

However, Exe didn't brand themselves and invest in the brand to offend anyone. The wider conversation could include Saracens, Warriors, Pirates etc etc. Do sharks & Lions have an opinion on this I wonder.

Yes, Leb, brave or naïve, not sure which on posting this subject. But I'm ready, willing and able to delete, lock, move this thread as appropriate.

It's probably one to move to the non rugby section.

The point about Saracens etc gets made every time but misses the point that there aren't any about today, Native Americans are still very much alive.

With regards to the pirates moniker at least Cornwall has a history of piracy so they are be perfectly entitled to use the name.[/quote]

I'm sure many millions of native Americans are offended by those of American indian descent using the term native to describe themselves, every person born in America is a native Amrican, perhaps it would be a good idea if they stopped offending their fellow countrymen and woman
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 12:20 pm:

Jesus wept.
Keyser Sose
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2021 15:00 pm:

“ I'm sure many millions of native Americans are offended by those of American indian descent using the term native to describe themselves, every person born in America is a native Amrican, perhaps it would be a good idea if they stopped offending their fellow countrymen and woman.”

You’re sure?
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 15:28 pm:

coleser wrote:
You’re sure?

Sure what ? That every person that is born in the states is classed as a native?
Strangely that's what the definition of the word means yes.
Same as I'm a native of this country.
Many would be of European, African or south american descent but those born in the states are native Americans .
Just the same as those of African, Caribbean or any other country descent but born here are British
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2021 15:45 pm:

Blimey. He is serious…
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 15:53 pm:

coleser wrote:Blimey. He is serious…

I assume from your response that you dont disagree with what native means.

I'm certainly not serious about whether exe fans should wear head dresses,I think it's a very unimportant argument as Im sure they dont wear them to be offensive, but I am serious about the double standards that get employed in these sort of debates, where those who tell others they need educating arent as clever as they like to make out, we are all prone to have double standards, its human nature,some recognise we arent perfect some live on a very high horse .
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2021 15:56 pm:

https://americanindian.si.edu/nk360/faq/did-you-know

Give it a read and I've screen grabbed relevant section below.

Robs1 your semantics over the word "native" detract from the obvious point that is being raised around the use of an indigenous peoples imagery/clothing/chants etc. And I'm pretty sure you realise it.

The more I read these types of responses, the more I despair about what those from other clubs and the wider community must think of the Gloucester fanbase as a whole and specifically those who frequent this site. Frankly, it's embarrasing.

Screenshot_20211013-165838_Chrome.jpg

13 Oct 2021 16:10 pm:

I think we're going round in circles, so I'll lock this Topic. Discussions can continue via PM's, if required.
aka John Neary

13 Oct 2021 20:57 pm:

Good news. Patrick, our Labrador and I have come to a non-gender related agreement. I feed the dog, take the dog for walks and the dogs sits there licking its p****… ;)
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Site Admin

13 Oct 2021 22:39 pm:

2 out of 3 ain’t bad..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Previous

Return to Not Rugby