Ukraine

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 3329

Re: Ukraine

15 May 2022 00:57 am:

Ukraine Win Eurovision - scoring always has been political. Maybe why we came second with us giving them so much support? Or it could be, as I never watched it, they were the best 2 :D
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Moderator
Posts: 4828
Location: Malahide, Co Dublin. Formerly Lydney

Re: Ukraine

15 May 2022 19:05 pm:

The UK was the best song by a long way, coupled with a very strong performance by the singer as well. Rightly top at the half way (judges) point.

Ukraine then won with an astonishing amount of public votes, every country gave them either 12 or 10 apparently.

There was a lot of talk last year about the UK being ignored because of brexit etc. The real reason he got nil points was because the song was awful and also dreadfully sang. Ditto for the past number of years too.

I hope that Putin is gone in plenty of time for Kyiv to host the contest next year, their song wasn’t the best, not was it the worst (Australia last night). But an enjoyable night in front of the telly for a huge number of people
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2831

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 09:14 am:

Personally, I thought the Spanish entry was fantastic and a real treat. Couldn't hum the tune afterwards though.

Although Ukraine song was just their version of 'Boom Bang A Bang'. Come on, I do these for free! If the Ukranian armed forces carry on as they are, the Eurovision Song Contest 2023, could be held by Ukraine in Moscow.

Aaahhhh, the French. Macron negotiating with Putin for Ukraine to surrender lands to Russia. I hope Zelensky told Macron that any lands given to Russia, should be replaced by French sovereign land. What a shister that man is. Do the French not read history books and what happens when you appease Nazi's?
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2374

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 10:12 am:

tigerchef wrote:Personally, I thought the Spanish entry was fantastic and a real treat. Couldn't hum the tune afterwards though.

Although Ukraine song was just their version of 'Boom Bang A Bang'. Come on, I do these for free! If the Ukranian armed forces carry on as they are, the Eurovision Song Contest 2023, could be held by Ukraine in Moscow.

Aaahhhh, the French. Macron negotiating with Putin for Ukraine to surrender lands to Russia. I hope Zelensky told Macron that any lands given to Russia, should be replaced by French sovereign land. What a shister that man is. Do the French not read history books and what happens when you appease Nazi's?


If you are a royal you become governor of the Bahamas and if you're a journalist you get to own the Daily Mail?
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2831

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 15:17 pm:

With the global Wheat shortage potentially effecting billions of people, I hear from a friend at the UN that they are already drawing up plans on how many people they can keep from starving and who they should save. I think it is also a timely reminder to remember those who voted for or abstained from the vote condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Cuba, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar, Mali, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

I also see that Maccy D’s is leaving Russia after 30 years and whilst they are popularly derided in western culture, the company really has a worthy track record in transforming a range of social and business environments in developing countries. Russia was perhaps the most striking example of this. Prior to McD arrival in Moscow (IIRC it was a commercial venture by McD Canada), there was essentially no service industry in Russia, and standards of everything from customer service to food hygiene were appalling or non-existent. Supply chains for all types of commerce were primitive in the extreme. Prior to McD's arrival, there were just a handful of small grotty soviet style cafes in Moscow that were just about the only way of getting a safe-ish snack. Nowadays (or at least until this year) Russian cities are teeming with western-style cafe and restaurant culture, shopping malls and arcades. That was all seeded by McD and promulgated by its trainees.
Vice-Captain
Posts: 389

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 17:57 pm:

tigerchef wrote:With the global Wheat shortage potentially effecting billions of people, I hear from a friend at the UN that they are already drawing up plans on how many people they can keep from starving and who they should save. I think it is also a timely reminder to remember those who voted for or abstained from the vote condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Cuba, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar, Mali, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

I also see that Maccy D’s is leaving Russia after 30 years and whilst they are popularly derided in western culture, the company really has a worthy track record in transforming a range of social and business environments in developing countries. Russia was perhaps the most striking example of this. Prior to McD arrival in Moscow (IIRC it was a commercial venture by McD Canada), there was essentially no service industry in Russia, and standards of everything from customer service to food hygiene were appalling or non-existent. Supply chains for all types of commerce were primitive in the extreme. Prior to McD's arrival, there were just a handful of small grotty soviet style cafes in Moscow that were just about the only way of getting a safe-ish snack. Nowadays (or at least until this year) Russian cities are teeming with western-style cafe and restaurant culture, shopping malls and arcades. That was all seeded by McD and promulgated by its trainees.

Serious question, how do you know all this?
I'm amazed at the level of knowledge of some people on here.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 8605
Location: Longlevens

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 18:04 pm:

Oakwood wrote:
tigerchef wrote:With the global Wheat shortage potentially effecting billions of people, I hear from a friend at the UN that they are already drawing up plans on how many people they can keep from starving and who they should save. I think it is also a timely reminder to remember those who voted for or abstained from the vote condemning the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burundi, Central African Republic, China, Congo, Cuba, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar, Mali, Mongolia, Mozambique, Namibia, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Senegal, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam, Zimbabwe.

I also see that Maccy D’s is leaving Russia after 30 years and whilst they are popularly derided in western culture, the company really has a worthy track record in transforming a range of social and business environments in developing countries. Russia was perhaps the most striking example of this. Prior to McD arrival in Moscow (IIRC it was a commercial venture by McD Canada), there was essentially no service industry in Russia, and standards of everything from customer service to food hygiene were appalling or non-existent. Supply chains for all types of commerce were primitive in the extreme. Prior to McD's arrival, there were just a handful of small grotty soviet style cafes in Moscow that were just about the only way of getting a safe-ish snack. Nowadays (or at least until this year) Russian cities are teeming with western-style cafe and restaurant culture, shopping malls and arcades. That was all seeded by McD and promulgated by its trainees.

Serious question, how do you know all this?
I'm amazed at the level of knowledge of some people on here.


Easy enough to to find the info: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/10/business ... index.html
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2831

Re: Ukraine

16 May 2022 19:40 pm:

Very good DT, I referenced Cohon in a paper I wrote several years ago for a course I undertook at Defence Food Services. We had to write a paper on local supply chains to, well feed an Army Division. Very interesting topic which I don't want to derail this thread too much, but we studied HACCP in relation to local food supply, to ensure that post-invasion and within 2 weeks, we would have an up and running logistic supply chain of fresh fruit and vegetables for 30,000 people. Cohon had faced a lot of problems (as is written in the CNN article) and we just learnt from his mistakes.

I think that's all I am still allowed to say on food supply. Please feel free to read JSP 456 Vol 1&3 for further information. It's on the Internet.

Thread drift over, hope that answered your question Oakwood.
Hall of Famer
Posts: 2519

Re: Ukraine

17 May 2022 06:58 am:

Cracking contributions tigerchef.
Site Admin
Posts: 1991

Re: Ukraine

17 May 2022 09:55 am:

Indeed, very interesting..

So there’s likely to be fun times ahead.

Let’s use this forum as a way to help each other and those beyond that need a hand.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Previous

Return to Not Rugby