O/T - General Politics thread

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

SonofPricey 16 Sep 2020 11:18 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:I do Lovejoy. To be frank whatever we do there will be bureaucracy and paperwork/tariffs/taxes etc;. Personally I'd like UK to be in charge of what occurs NOT Brussels/Paris/Berlin. We'll agree to disagree.

Anyway Climate Change is apparently more important than Brexit or a "relatively trivial pandemic" that's taken the lives of 900,000 globally and is nowhere being curtailed !! :roll: :roll:

Brexit views are probably more entrenched now than the day after the vote in 2016. It is an ideological battle which won't play out for another decade or two - although I would love to see you and many others still posting on Shedweb in 2040, that may be a bit of a stretch. I have resigned myself to the potential for absolute chaos or maybe even sunlit uplands and a gleaming city on the hill.

Finally, I don't want to suggest that the 900,000 deaths due to COVID are trivial - of course they are not, but if we compare to Spanish Flu the numbers are nowhere near the same. Also Climate Change IS far more important than Brexit or pretty much any pandemic - we are talking about the future viability of large swathes of agricultural land, fish stocks, increasingly severe and unpredictable weather which would effect billions of people, the hardest hit already being those in the poorest countries. Unlike Brexit it isn't a matter of debate - pretty much every single scientist agrees that we need to make big changes very quickly.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

lovejoy 16 Sep 2020 15:50 pm said..

I agree re climate change, there is no real debate here and I tend to avoid arguing the toss with those who deny it, the flat earthers types.
Whether Brexit falls into that category or not is an interesting question but I have continually asked for, and have yet to receive, any substantive credible evidence that it will be a success ("sunlit uplands") and how anyone can argue the promises made at the time of the vote are being fulfilled is beyond me. Most of what has happened since has demonstrated the concerns, dismissed so blithly as Project Fear by the UKIPer types.
lovejoy
On the board

SonofPricey 16 Sep 2020 17:28 pm said..

Lovejoy, I fully expect Brexit to go badly - mainly because I think those in charge are entirely incompetent, although I think it’s a flawed premise anyway. I suppose the problem for me and most remainers is that we have to wait for a little bit before we can “We told you so”
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

lovejoy 16 Sep 2020 23:08 pm said..

At which point we are past the point of no return.
lovejoy
On the board

SonofPricey 17 Sep 2020 09:20 am said..

Agreed - but I hear Canada is nice... ;)
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

shedwebadmin 17 Sep 2020 10:33 am said..

You would think that something half American and half french would be your worst nightmare, but it turns out it’s quite nice.. haven’t quite reconciled yet what a friend out there tells me when we chat.. the daily occurrence of bears going through the bins on the porch while the kids play 6 feet away in the kitchen, or the 12 feet of snow and -40 windchill.. but he likes it..
shedwebadmin
Site Admin
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...

SonofPricey 17 Sep 2020 14:24 pm said..

The odd bear and angry moose is still better than the hell on earth that is Australia though.

Any country that has that many things that want to kill you is just silly. New Zealand is too far away and full off Lord of the Rings fanatics (although the rugby would be good), while America is wonderful provided you live in the North East corner of it.

I am too lazy to learn another language. It’s amazing I voted Remain really! ;) :lol:
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

Severus 17 Sep 2020 15:06 pm said..

I see that criticising the governments woeful record on Covid testing is seen as 'carping on' by the leader of the house. Reminiscent of a certain orange tinged gentlemen over the pond. Why do modern politicians seem to be uncomfortable when criticised, I'm sure in the past politicians took it on the chin so to speak.
Severus
Hall of Famer

Severus 17 Sep 2020 15:09 pm said..

Additional. The leader of the house is also contradicting one of the few things the PM has said that has made sense.

“We really need to discourage councils from their war against the motorist,”

“We should be backing the motorist,” he continued. “Driving is a great sign of one’s independence, liberty and exercise of historic freedoms.”
Severus
Hall of Famer

DieTrying 17 Sep 2020 15:10 pm said..

Dildo Harding has just stated they were aiming to be fully up to speed by the end of October. What bit of " Schools, Uni's and a lot of people were going back in September", didn't she nor the Gov't get? This shower are making Chris Grayling look like a genius. :roll:
DieTrying
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby