O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

17 Sep 2020 18:21 pm:

I’m a uni lecturer and on campus we are fully compliant with PHE guidelines regarding masks, social distancing and sanitiser stations. As soon as the students leave the buildings that all goes out of the window. I think another lockdown is inevitable.
On the board

01 Oct 2020 09:48 am:

The state of world politics saddens me. How over 40% of US voters could tolerate voting for Trump is astonishing.
"Will you denounce the far right groups?"
"They should stand by".

I think those I could imagine voting for Trump are:
-right wing racists clearly,
-people who are in his cabal benefiting from his leadership directly, including the very rich
-those who vote republican without thinking about it at all because they always have
-angry people (generally white non-college educated) who his rhetoric intentionally targets, who decide on instinct and not facts

Have I missed any?
Hall of Famer

01 Oct 2020 11:16 am:

lovejoy wrote:The state of world politics saddens me. How over 40% of US voters could tolerate voting for Trump is astonishing.
"They should stand by".

-people who are in his cabal benefiting from his leadership directly, including the very rich
-those who vote republican without thinking about it at all because they always have
-angry people (generally white non-college educated) who his rhetoric intentionally targets, who decide on instinct and not facts

Have I missed any?

Trumps 'call to arms' to the Proud Boys has made me genuinely fearful for the future. For a sitting POTUS to refuse to say there will be a peaceful transition of power in the event that he is voted out of office and then to ask a far-right group to 'stand by' is essentially saying that he wants a dictatorship. The US and the UK have drifted to the right over the last decade or so and these are dark days indeed.
On the board

01 Oct 2020 11:21 am:

lovejoy wrote:The state of world politics saddens me. How over 40% of US voters could tolerate voting for Trump is astonishing.
"They should stand by".

Have I missed any?

I'll add disinterested people whose mate tells them to vote Trump as Biden wants to close down police and mines.
Site Admin

01 Oct 2020 12:20 pm:

Biden is a proxy, he'll be declared mental in a year's time and get packed off to sniff children's hair or something just as rank.. 'Kneepads' is the winner here.. just goes to show what a parlous state they're in politically.. nice to know we're not alone, I guess..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
On the board

01 Oct 2020 12:52 pm:

Kneepads? dare I ask.
Site Admin

01 Oct 2020 13:28 pm:

Biden's running mate - Kamala 'kneepads' Harris..

She has a very efficient ladder climbing strategy, by all accounts.. good luck to her.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Site Admin

01 Oct 2020 13:37 pm:

shedwebadmin wrote:Biden's running mate - Kamala 'kneepads' Harris..

She has a very efficient ladder climbing strategy, by all accounts.. good luck to her.

Actually that's unfair and does her a disservice.. On top of the huge amount of hard work she has clearly put in to get to where she has got to.. as a black woman in a largely white man's world.. etc etc.. the internet seems to think she knows how to seal the deal.. Personally, I kind of hope it's true and then some, and that it's all she's done to get there.. shows what a sham system it all is..
On the board

01 Oct 2020 15:32 pm:

Sounds like a Trumpism to me, belittling politicians with schoolground namecalling.
Site Admin

01 Oct 2020 16:15 pm:

Yes, a lot of that..

The background.. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kamal ... lie-brown/
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby