O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

14 Nov 2020 18:58 pm:

lovejoy wrote: I think they wheel him out for announcements to talk posh public school nonsense and throw in some distracting Latin to impress the masses.

What a chippy little person you are.......... :roll: :roll:

Surely you should be aiming your classist rant at his father ?? The son can't be blamed for his parent's decisions on schooling.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

14 Nov 2020 19:46 pm:

The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

14 Nov 2020 20:07 pm:

Very much put in my place Sir Henry. An interesting and thought-provoking read. BUT

Was it BJ's fault where he went to school and/or learnt Classics and/or picked up an accent ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

15 Nov 2020 09:05 am:

Again you’ve completely missed the point, this happens so often, I have to think it’s intentional.

After everything that’s gone on this week, together with the death rate with CovId, and the status of the Brexit negotiations, I have to think that people who would vote for this crowd are doing it out of blind habit, unshakeable in their convictions. Regardless of reason and facts.
Site Admin

15 Nov 2020 10:13 am:

Well, maybe it could be different under starmer, not convinced yet, but personally it was more a case of anything but corbyn.. even though I am disillusioned with the conservatives these past few years, there’s no way I was voting for corbyn, abbot at al.. (starmer being a prominent figure in that bunch of course). Maybe I should have spoiled my paper in hindsight.. drawn a meat & two veg on it.. always wanted to do that.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

15 Nov 2020 12:49 pm:

Agreed, although there are other alternatives out there. But I mean now rather than during the election. Tory support is still 40%.

Actually another reason you’d still support them I didn’t defence above is if you don’t follow politics much so you’re not very well informed.
Hall of Famer

15 Nov 2020 13:00 pm:

BUT

Was it BJ's fault where he went to school and/or learnt Classics and/or picked up an accent ??

Not his fault at all, but it is arguable that it is the fault of our system that so many of those who end up in positions of power come through this very narrow route.

In the long run, it's probably not very healthy.

Ref ADBJ, I would focus more on the apparent lack of moral fibre and reported laziness as an indicator of unfitness for the role of PM. He is a frontman, a PM for the TV age and that also is not very healthy.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

25 Nov 2020 22:16 pm:

Sadly, for me the Tories are the best from a truly rotten bunch.

Voting for a political party today is very much like us having to choose between wearing a B*rf or $aracen$ shirt. :shock:

You just hope that the one you pick will be less bad than the alternatives.
Tuffty (Andy Kershaw)

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
First team regular

25 Nov 2020 23:51 pm:

Tuffty wrote:Sadly, for me the Tories are the best from a truly rotten bunch.
Voting for a political party today is very much like us having to choose between wearing a B*rf or $aracen$ shirt. :shock:

As a Shed dweller you should feel at home supporting the Lib Dem’s.
They both get a lot of support but are well used to losing and it will be a long time before they get any seats.
And both of course like to remind the man in charge that he knoweth not what he’s doing...
Hall of Famer

26 Nov 2020 10:16 am:

Tuffty wrote:Sadly, for me the Tories are the best from a truly rotten bunch.

You just hope that the one you pick will be less bad than the alternatives.

Genuine question - how do you reach that conclusion Tufty, I can see the logic if you are a Brexit voter I suppose but has the performance since the election been of high enough quality to justify support?
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby