O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

18 Oct 2021 14:00 pm:

Thought there would of been a comment about the death of Sir David Amess on Friday. I have noticed though that the media is only talking about MPs having better protection, My belief is that MPs should get no more protection than the rest of the population. Whilst I agree that an attack upon them is an attack at the heart of democracy, they should stand shoulder to shoulder with their constituents, they are not special people they are our representatives elected by the populous and should be treated in a similar manner.

They should be available to us face to face as required not hidden behind some glass screen (such as that introduced into the Commons Chamber) nor should they have an armed guard permanently attached, this will only alienate them from their constituents further. There is an argument that ministers should receive some form of enhanced protection as they are representative of the state/government and an attack upon them is also an attack on that institution.

If parliamentarians are worried about their security they are in the ideal position to do something meaningful about it, they can enact legislation to protect the general populous not just themselves, what this might consist of I do not have an off pat answer, but they need to work on this subject. They should not simply withdraw themselves in a security blanket of armoured screens, identity checks and armed police thinking that they have solved the problem leaving the rest of us still vulnerable.
On the board

18 Oct 2021 19:53 pm:

The debate so far seems to be focused deliberately and uniformly off and away from the crux of the matter in this instance by much of the media

Not much debate on this sad event relating to the effects on Society of radical islam on life in UK since the turn of the millenium despite the many regular incidents

That Elephant seems consistenly kept in the deepest darkest corners at the back of the room.

I don't see anyone having a midnight booze-rant on Twitter/FB or somesuch directly related to this murder although it's reported that the suspect was being monitored by certain structures related to keeping tabs on all sorts of political nutters.

Just my thoughts.
Hall of Famer

19 Oct 2021 21:30 pm:

Agree TC there should be no extra protection as a rule but if they vet the people coming in and see a potential nutter then they should bring in the support for that session.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
On the board

22 Oct 2021 20:44 pm:

At least Sunak is starting to follow the thinking of the majority and calling out Boris and his Princess Nut Nut on their "Green" lunacy
Hall of Famer

23 Oct 2021 07:21 am:

Why are green initiatives ‘lunacy’? We are in a climate emergency. The more we can do to reduce our impact on the planet the better.
Hall of Famer

25 Oct 2021 19:00 pm:

Have we got to the point where the government voting to dump raw sewage in rivers and the sea is not even worthy of mention? To be honest I’m punch drunk by it all now but I’m out of step with the general public who don’t seem to mind. You can argue it was illegal under EU law and we were promised higher environmental standards post Brexit and that the lack of chemicals used to treat water due to Brexit regulations are to blame but the sheep will still vote for them anyway. Small wonder the EU won’t let our shellfish in very easily. I’ve even seen some MPs tweeting that this shouldn’t be questioned after what happened to David Amess last week. You know you’re scraping the barrel when you have to hide behind that horrific incident to avoid scrutiny.
Last edited by lovejoy on 26 Oct 2021 07:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

26 Oct 2021 06:05 am:

Tory MPs defend votes after uproar over sewage proposals https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59040175

Both sides of the story here. I expect there could have been a middle path whereby more is done to prevent having to put sewerage into rivers to stop houses being flooded but at a lot lower cost.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Site Admin

26 Oct 2021 06:54 am:

Just seen the piece about the sewage on the news.. worrying to see how much gets dumped, particularly inland..

I know there’s mechanism to dump untreated sewage in certain cases, but I wouldn’t have said it was that much or that often, if asked before I saw that.. eye opening.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

26 Oct 2021 07:13 am:

The BBC line is about the defence of the actions by the government, not the actions itself, of course.
Seems like an obvious case of privatise for profit and nationalise the liabilities to me.
Hall of Famer

26 Oct 2021 09:28 am:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/e834e261b53740eba2fe6736e37bbc7b

An interactive map to show where this is happening near you.

The Lords amendment would place a legal duty on water companies in England and Wales “to make improvements to their sewerage systems and demonstrate progressive reductions in the harm caused by discharges of untreated sewage.”

DEFRA (government) response: "https://deframedia.blog.gov.uk/2021/10/25/defra-response-to-environment-bill-storm-overflows-amendment-coverage/"

The amendment in an of itself does not seem onerous but does open up the industry to potential lawsuits. As Lovejoy states the Bill in its current format does seem to put more onus on the government than the companies to drive much needed change,

The Bill will pass back to the Lords who will hopefully respond with an amended amendment that all can agree on. It would seem that there is a happy medium where companies should not be allowed to make excessive profits without ploughing these back into the needed infrastructure.

A list of the MP's that voted against in case anyone feels compelled to write to their MP when the amended amendment returns to Parliament:

https://www.carvemag.com/2021/10/every-uk-mp-who-just-voted-to-allow-water-companies-to-continue-dumping-raw-sewage-in-rivers-and-the-sea/
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby