O/T - General Politics thread

Re: O/T - General Election

JamesK 16 Dec 2019 10:09 am said..

Ken Burney wrote:HPF ... your share portfolio is probably having another good day, so far, today!

Indeed, but that’s probably more down to the US China trade deal.
JamesK
On the board

Gloucester Mute 16 Dec 2019 10:11 am said..

In which case Luci I take it that the Labour press/media output was also false re. BoJo and the Tories ?? Or was it all absolutely honest.

There really are some people looking at the World of Labour through some Marxist-red tinted glasses.....

Even John McDonnell has apologised about Labour's stance on the Jewish issue.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2395  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Dec 2019 10:15 am said..

JamesK wrote:
Ken Burney wrote:HPF ... your share portfolio is probably having another good day, so far, today!

Indeed, but that’s probably more down to the US China trade deal.

Nope. Look at other European markets - much smaller rises.

FTSE is essentially undervalued compared to global markets. We have gone up 10% this year whilst some other stock markets are up 20%+. Now election is over, nationalising anti-business Labour aren't in and overall + Brexit uncertainty are gone it's buy, buy, buy !! And end of the day ALL our Pensions (whether working or retired) are benefitting.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

stevieb 16 Dec 2019 10:18 am said..

JamesK wrote:Indeed Mute. For better or worse it is happening. Let’s hope that means Lewi will stop with his silly propaganda now. Brexit is now in the hands of the Brexitiers. They will take the credit or blame for how it turns out.

You mean he will stop posting information he knows through his employment? Regardless of what my views on the matter might be, I'd rather read informed posts than regurgitated Daily Mail headlines.
stevieb
Hall of Famer

shedwebadmin 16 Dec 2019 11:04 am said..

Fat Taff wrote:As normal service returns today I wait with bated breath for the announcement of the schedule of delivery of forty spanking new hospitals. Timeline, budget, location, the actual detail bit of the promises in the sound bite. Its reasonable to assume it will be the same as the council house promise last time round.

My wife is 6 feet away from Matt Hancock as we speak, and that exact question was asked.. the consensus in the room (NHS digital) seemed to think it was 6, he seemed to insist on 40..

You may have a point..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
shedwebadmin
Site Admin

SirHenry 16 Dec 2019 11:19 am said..

Interesting comments during election night about how BoJo no longer has to rely on the hard line Brexiteers (ERG/DUP) and has the luxury of exiting Europe in a very strong fashion that could result in the next phase well exceeding the 12 month schedule.

This is the key thing, despite all the back slapping about the stock market (which was entirely predictable as markets take short term view to make short term gains), we could easily be back in the mire in a years time.

It's not just a trade deal that needs to be negotiated but the setting up of multiple alternative arrangements for all the institutions and agencies that we currently rely on EU membership that cut across many aspects of day to day life, from food to health, to defence and environment etc. etc.

How close a trading relationship we want impacts how close a relationship we need with these agencies. UK alternatives need to be established. Government needs to have clarity in their direction asap if that is all to be done by Jan 2021 or you will see markets and pound heading steadily down again as that date approaches, especially if the government uses jingoistic bluff and bluster as a negotiating strategy.

Working to a deadline is fine, but sticking to it and causing chaos to satisfy indignant Leavers if we are not ready isn't.

Hopefully, with a large enough majority pragmatism will prevail.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

Francophile1 16 Dec 2019 11:22 am said..

Is the consensus now that this topic can be closed for the next 5 years and we can concentrate on GLOUCESTER RUGBY ?
Francophile1
Senior squad member

GlawsyD 16 Dec 2019 11:31 am said..

KPB,

With the game against Toulouse currently scheduled for 19 Jan 2020, I believe your duty free allowance and use of the EU passport channel to be assured! - however, such guarantees might not apply when we appear in the Quarter Finals round. :?
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Dec 2019 11:32 am said..

Francophile1 wrote:Is the consensus now that this topic can be closed for the next 5 years and we can concentrate on GLOUCESTER RUGBY ?

+1. Results are carved in stone. Move on.

Though sadly there will be the inevitable few harking back to what might have been if the referee (aka poll) had been looking from a different position and the crowd (aka media) hadn't influenced the referee. The result was therefore skewed !! ;) ;) ;)
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 16 Dec 2019 11:34 am said..

GlawsyD wrote:KPB,

With the game against Toulouse currently scheduled for 19 Jan 2020, I believe your duty free allowance and use of the EU passport channel to be assured! - however, such guarantees might not apply when we appear in the Quarter Finals round. :?

Those coming back from the 2/2 6N match might get skewered though - and not only because Eurostar is going to be on restrictions due to French Union workers !!
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby