O/T - General Politics thread

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

lovejoy 11 Sep 2020 10:12 am said..

Genuine question, can someone who is generally happy with how the government is performing (40% per the opinion polls) explain the logic of the Internal Markets Bill which breaches international law (by their own admission) and moves away from the "oven ready deal" on which the election in December was fought.
This has clearly annoyed the EU with legal action being discussed, meant the US senate (Pelosi) specifically state that the UK wot get a US deal and undermined the trust of the UK in the international community at a time when the UK is seeking to replace all the trade agreements which fall away at the end of the year.
For the life of my I cannot see why this is not an outrageous position to be in. What am I missing?
lovejoy
On the board

Castle Grim Reaper 11 Sep 2020 14:07 pm said..

That the EU was legally obliged to offer us a decent trade deal :?
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

SonofPricey 11 Sep 2020 14:31 pm said..

lovejoy wrote:Genuine question, can someone who is generally happy with how the government is performing (40% per the opinion polls) explain the logic of the Internal Markets Bill which breaches international law (by their own admission) and moves away from the "oven ready deal" on which the election in December was fought.
This has clearly annoyed the EU with legal action being discussed, meant the US senate (Pelosi) specifically state that the UK wot get a US deal and undermined the trust of the UK in the international community at a time when the UK is seeking to replace all the trade agreements which fall away at the end of the year.
For the life of my I cannot see why this is not an outrageous position to be in. What am I missing?

It's all a bit 'smoke and mirrors' I think.

I am not sure that the Internal Markets Bill will get through without an amendment. There are plenty of Conservative MP's who are not happy with the potential for breaching International Law, so you would imagine one or two of them will work together to put forward something to get the Government out of this.

My gut feeling is that it was a power play to get the EU to budge on some key issues - mainly around Agriculture and Fisheries. Now of course, it is a very high risk strategy because the EU know that the fishing industry makes up between 1-2% (and I am being generous) of the UK's GDP; and nearly 70% of the UK catch is sold to EU Markets. But they also need access to UK waters for the various EU fishing fleets.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

SonofPricey 11 Sep 2020 14:37 pm said..

Something that did catch my attention in terms of UK trade deals was the possibility of a CANZUK agreement. It's worth googling as it would appear to be the easiest and quickest trade deal available. Obviously there are downsides - Welsh Lamb would be swamped by NZ Lamb for example.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

SirHenry 13 Sep 2020 16:34 pm said..

House of Lords quite rightly not keen on aspects of the agriculture bill that allow for importing food from countries with lower standards.

Will amendments be accepted or will the government force it through.

Anyone happy if they do?
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

Gloucester Mute 14 Sep 2020 09:31 am said..

Last time I thought about Brexit I just wanted it to all be over and get on with the rest of my life. Same applies.

Other countries regularly twist and turn legislation but because we're good old Britain we aren't allowed to.

Not our finest moment I agree but as long as it get's us to the next stage I'm frankly (even as an original Remainer) past caring about being under the French/German boot come trade.

Surely we all want what's best for us - and if we bend the rules somewhat so what ??

Brexit hasn't killed anyone unlike this pandemic. ;)
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2635  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

lovejoy 14 Sep 2020 10:07 am said..

This is the problem, No Deal isn't the majority view and is, by most measures the worst of the 3 possible outcomes. Just getting it over and done with isn't consistent with getting the best deal. Trade deals take years to hammer out as was pointed out at the time of the vote (and dismissed as Project Fear).
Either we just get on with it and move on OR we get the best deal for the UK and this takes time, you can't have both.
What is becoming more apparent by the day is that the best deal is remaining.
lovejoy
On the board

GlawsyD 14 Sep 2020 10:26 am said..

We're all familiar with the sabre rattling of the Scots SNP for independence, but note that they seem none too keen on the Shetlands and Orkney determining their own futures.
GlawsyD
Hall of Famer
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086

SirHenry 14 Sep 2020 11:26 am said..

Brexit hasn't killed anyone unlike this pandemic.

Brexit hasn't lowered food standards ... yet ;)

I see that amendments to the fishing bill requiring sustainability have also been blocked.

There is a pattern emerging and it's a downward spiral on anything to do with the big issues facing the next generations that will make them look back on the relatively trivial pandemic issues with nostalgia.

Easy enough to want it over an done with to get on with the stub end of your life and not care about future generations.
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

Gloucester Mute 14 Sep 2020 16:34 pm said..

SirHenry wrote: There is a pattern emerging and it's a downward spiral on anything to do with the big issues facing the next generations that will make them look back on the relatively trivial pandemic issues with nostalgia.

Easy enough to want it over an done with to get on with the stub end of your life and not care about future generations.

Calling a pandemic that has so far taken the lives of nearly 1 million people can hardly be called "relatively trivial" !! Do you want to re-phrase OR is that what you think.

Rather hoping my "stub end of life" will last another 10+ years BTW !! And I most certainly do care about the future generations - I have a large number of grandchildren + 2 great-grandchildren.

I just think that leaving Europe and subsequent issues will just be more and more blah-blah politicking and actually life will carry on (on the relatively upward curve). As I said I voted Remain but have now (like many in Britain) had enough.

Do you really think there is a chance of still remaining ?? Are you the bloke who shouted non-stop outside Parliament ?? ;)
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2635  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby