O/T - General Politics thread

On the board

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

13 Oct 2020 08:40 am:

I didn't misrepresent anyone, but if GM finds my observations incorrect factually as opposed to being angled opinion from his own politics originally then I'll happily remove.
The tag line of this corner of SW is??????

IYDLIDRI is it not?

Bless!

Ho hum
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2020 09:40 am:

Bod - you clearly edited Mute's original post, whether for 'comedic effect' or to push your own political agenda.

With 21 days until the election, Trump is in BIG trouble. Double digit leads in the National opinion polls for Biden, while trailing in 12 of the 14 'Swing states' (Trump is only leading in Texas and Georgia - and by much smaller margins than he won in 2016). The key states to keep an eye out for are Pennsylvania, Florida and Wisconsin. Trump won all three (very narrowly) in 2016, but is currently trailing by between 4-6% in all three.

Biden does need to be careful, he can't rely on Trump respecting democratic norms and I have no doubt that there will be attempts to undermine the legitimacy of the election, especially if - as expected - the vote count initially shows Trump leading before the large amount of postal votes are counted.

From what I can see in the polling data and the articles written about Trump, Biden and this election the main reason Trump seems to be failing is that a lot of older white voters are seemingly tired of a rude, brash and nasty individual. Americans generally are polite, warm and welcoming - more so than us Brits - and it did surprise me that so many would be taken in by a man who has built his whole career on being a barsteward.

My feeling four years ago was his election was the last death throws of a particular form of White religious conservatism in the USA that has been marginalised and ignored. It is quite amazing to see how much the US has moved to the 'left' over the past 10 years.
On the board

13 Oct 2020 09:55 am:

You think America has moved to the left? I'm not sure about that.
I think the US (and the UK) have gone down the route of voting for populists. People who promise the earth and don't deliver. They rely on people to vote for them who take in slogans but never bother to look below the surface. A lot of the public would rather hear easy lies and harsh truths.

I'll lock Hillary up.
We will get a great deal.
A vaccine is here.
World beating track and trace.
Hall of Famer

13 Oct 2020 10:08 am:

Misquoting another poster is just not cricket in my opinion. I can see the point Bod was making but it could've been done in another way.
Hero in the making

13 Oct 2020 10:58 am:

lovejoy wrote:You think America has moved to the left? I'm not sure about that.
I think the US (and the UK) have gone down the route of voting for populists. People who promise the earth and don't deliver. They rely on people to vote for them who take in slogans but never bother to look below the surface. A lot of the public would rather hear easy lies and harsh truths.

I'll lock Hillary up.
We will get a great deal.
A vaccine is here.
World beating track and trace.

If you look at public opinion in the USA on reproductive rights, LGTBQ+ rights, Health care, gun control and immigration - generally the US has moved to the 'left', certainly compared to 10 years ago. Also worth remembering that Clinton won the popular vote by nearly 3 million - just not in the right places (due to the bizarre Electoral college system). There is a fair chance that by the end of the US Election, the Democrats will hold the Presidency and both the Senate and House of Reps.

Just a side note to Bod - yes the Democrats did begin the KKK, much of the antipathy and resistance to the Civil Rights Era stemmed from Southern Dems. But as soon as Barry Goldwater appeared in 1964, there was a huge shift to the Republican side. Ever since, the Republican party has struggled to appeal to the Black or Minority vote in the USA, despite being the 'Party of Lincoln' etc.

I actually think the biggest problem in the UK and the USA is not people voting for populists - its not voting at all. If more people my age and younger had bothered to vote in 2016, Brexit would likely never have happened for example.
On the board

13 Oct 2020 13:29 pm:

Fellas and Fellesses ( and anyone undecided as to whether to keep the toilet lid up or sit down)
I enjoy a regular stroll across the SW parish and typically don't have much to add, but enjoy the conversations and informed or otherwise exchanges between the residents.
If your poster is upset by my intervention, I apologise but the ensuant flapping and shrieking isn't what I've ever experienced from my many times of Rugby in the Forest (Fecking OUCH, have a jar, sorted) - maybe it's a new phenomenon from other areas or incomers?

Let's reengage on 4th Nov eh?

Let's see how the re-set works out eh?

Peace to all, except that fricking 2nd row from Drybrook who's stud marks still show as scars on the back of my head after 35 years. OK,I was lying on the wrong side, but no need to smile first!

Twas thus at the time eh?

I love Drybrook RFC
On the board

14 Oct 2020 09:35 am:

Son of Pricey I am judging it based on who gets elected rather than consensus opinion among the population as it is they who dictate the direction of the country. What is interesting in the UK is how Labour have moved away from being the traditional party of the working class (the red wall in the north etc) and the conservatives of the higher educated. In fact this effect almost flipped at the last election and it will be interesting to see if that was simply Brexit or more fundamental.
Interesting times.
On the board

16 Oct 2020 10:35 am:

I'm reading that a lot of money is being spent on awarding contracts without a proper procurement process. For example Dido Harding (Baroness if you recognise those sort of things) awarding multi billion pound test and trace contracts to companies with links to the government without scrutiny or tendering.
If you are equally concerned why not contact the governments anti corruption champion MP John Penrose.....
On the board

16 Oct 2020 10:36 am:

....Dido Hardings husband.
Site Admin

16 Oct 2020 11:40 am:

I am a tory, pretty much always have been, apart from that time I voted for a bloke who wanted to birch people in the street.. fun times... but I can't help fear there is a total shizzle-storm of shenanigans going to come out probably before all this guff has passed. My faith in the party as the right choice, and most of the protagonists' ability is at an all-time low.

Their baffling inability to conduct an inebriation in a brewery is almost admirable and a skill in itself.. They can't be this stupid. Labour can't be this inept as opposition to this government.. There must be some sort of hope (beyond the twinkling star of Rishi Sunak).. sigh.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby