O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

13 Nov 2020 19:23 pm:

Last week there was a leak from downing street about lockdown, with Boris feeling forced into it. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
Hall of Famer

13 Nov 2020 19:56 pm:

Politicians of yesteryear seem to me to be a better pedigree; generally more credible and more honourable than the current crop by a margin. We have seen in the last 15 years or so the rise of the ‘plastic politician’ who don’t seem to give a damn. They are completely lacking in the understanding of the word ‘service’.

The modern lot are enough to make you wish for a modern day Guy Fawkes who this time is successful!
Tuffty (Andy Kershaw)

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Hall of Famer

13 Nov 2020 20:08 pm:

Tuffty wrote:Politicians of yesteryear seem to me to be a better pedigree; generally more credible and more honourable than the current crop by a margin. We have seen in the last 15 years or so the rise of the ‘plastic politician’ who don’t seem to give a damn. They are completely lacking in the understanding of the word ‘service’.

The modern lot are enough to make you wish for a modern day Guy Fawkes who this time is successful!

I have had this conversation recently. I dont know if politicians have been better or if social media exposure has made their faults stand out more. Also this pandemic (and brexit to a lesser extent) has thrown the light on them a lot more. I'm sure half of the stuff that have outraged people over the last few months would have gone under the radar in years gone by as decisions weren't affecting peoples lives directly.
Hall of Famer

13 Nov 2020 20:30 pm:

Number 10,

I suspect you’re right. The internet has very much been the oxygen for public understanding, which arguably has meant greater scrutiny of decisions and behaviour. However, I would expect politicians to raise their game accordingly. There must be some good ones amongst them; it’s just that they tend to be buried under the dross like Abbott and Cummings, etc.
Tuffty (Andy Kershaw)

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Hall of Famer

13 Nov 2020 20:33 pm:

Yes I fully agree that they should raise their standards. My view is more that the nostalgic view that they were better in the past might not quite be true.
Hall of Famer

14 Nov 2020 10:11 am:

Cummings pushed ?. If so about time. Will BJ survive ?. :?: maybe until the next election .
Site Admin

14 Nov 2020 13:01 pm:

If COVID eases and things pick up a bit, he’ll be gone in the spring, I understand..

Big step up for Rishi..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

14 Nov 2020 13:52 pm:

shedwebadmin wrote:If COVID eases and things pick up a bit, he’ll be gone in the spring, I understand..

Big step up for Rishi..

This would not surprise me . Will the ego allow it though ?. I think he has to think (n political terms), what can be done to get the Tory ratings back. Only a miracle would see him survive and them win the next election after the fiasco we've witnessed this year.
Hall of Famer

14 Nov 2020 15:01 pm:

I think Johnson wanted to be appointed PM but didn’t actually want to have to be PM and the graft that goes with it. That’s why he’s appointed a load of advisors to do the heavy lifting and his attendance at key meetings is, at best, sporadic. I think they wheel him our for announcements to talk posh public school nonsense and throw in some distracting Latin to impress the masses.
First team regular

14 Nov 2020 15:54 pm:

Omnia haec mala

( this is a total f**k-up)
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby