O/T - General Politics thread

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

10 Dec 2020 16:46 pm:

I'll see if I can find it again, but I did say it's a stat that's circulating, I should have added that it's starting to circulate to give better context. I also said it referred to illegal immigrants so it doesn't include people coming to the UK with perfectly good and valid reasons.

The UK is also paying France substantial sums to stop this trade as it's actually big business to many unscrupulous gangs, let alone extremely dangerous for those making the journey.

Most immigrants are from North and Sub Sahara Africa, and the middle East. They cross the Med, or come through Turkey, travel up through Europe, avoiding non EU Countries where possible and then across the Channel to the UK - they pay £0,000's per person and are promised all sorts. The majority are young men too. This whole situation is having a detrimental effect on genuine asylum seekers and refugees and the water is muddied as a result.
Hall of Famer

10 Dec 2020 17:10 pm:

Why have you sidestepped from brexit to dubious 'facts' about illegal immigrants? If they are illegal there won't be any records on them, where do you get this ru8bbish from?
Vice-Captain

10 Dec 2020 17:52 pm:

Lewi7 wrote:I'll re-clarify. Scottish Whiskey sales. You do realise there are currently tariffs and barriers imposed on the product, which will lift as of Jan 1st, or based on your comment possibly not.

I do - but there is no such thing as Scotch whiskey.
Plenty of Scotch whisky, plenty of Irish whiskey; but no Scotch whiskey.

Maybe too subtle and not serious enough for this thread ;)
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
Hall of Famer

10 Dec 2020 19:51 pm:

The Japan and Canada deals are welcome, either if they are largely (or in the case of Canada) wholly the same as the deal we previously had, if you ignore the 23% currency devaluation.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

12 Dec 2020 18:35 pm:

As Lewi seems to have left this thread I’ll do my best to answer the questions I posed to him.
We sell 50% of our stuff to the EU, they sell 7% of their stuff to us. That’s why we don’t have as much leverage as they do. Source: David Cameron speech before Leave vote in 2016. So the numbers aren’t exactly up to date but the sentiment remains.

Regarding how many illegal immigrants it takes to steal jobs off you, all I could find was some require obnoxious people on social media spouting this sort of divisive rhetoric but no real substantiation. What I do know is that a country of 60 million, the top 5 or 6 economy in the world does have some space for some amount of immigration for desperate people trying to fell wars and tortures to make a better life for themselves and their families, despite what these people on social media/daily Mail/daily express/sun tell you.

12 Dec 2020 18:52 pm:

aka John Neary

12 Dec 2020 18:58 pm:

aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

12 Dec 2020 19:55 pm:

DieTrying wrote:https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/#:~:text=In%202019%2C%20UK%20exports%20to,2002%20to%2043%25%20in%202019.

Thanks DT.

Nice to see some real data compared to the relentless left-leaning rhetoric/baloney some religiously spout.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2020 07:41 am:

I quoted David Cameron, is he left leaning in your mind Mute? Also the attachments and the later data support what I wrote. In 2019 the EU is 43% of UK exports and 52% of UK imports, making it the UK’s single largest market.

According to a new study by the ifo Center for International Economics, only 4% of all of the EU’s exported goods and services ended up in the UK last year, while a mere 6% of its imports came from Britain, according to the ifo findings. The ifo report quoted slightly higher numbers for UK export/import to the uk but I’ve used the numbers quoted in the uk gov links.
According to a new study by the ifo Center for International Economics, the UK relied on the EU for 50 per cent of its imports last year, whereas the EU was the final destination for 47 per cent of all UK export, making it the UK’s single largest market.

Comparatively, only 4 per cent of all of the EU’s exported goods and services ended up in the UK last year, while a mere 6 per cent of its imports came from Britain, according to the ifo findings.

Using logic, I cannot tally how no deal will hurt the EU more than it will hurt the UK. Using Daily Mail jingoism it’s easy to get there.

I also note, with little surprise but a deal of sadness, that you are quick to denounce posters who are (in your mind) left leaning, but when someone posts nonsense about immigrants you are strangely silent. It’s not difficult to join the dots.

13 Dec 2020 09:56 am:

The EU's own stats, from Oct20, disagree with you lovejoy.
aka John Neary
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby