O/T - General Politics thread

Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

Re: O/T - General Politics thread

13 Dec 2020 16:25 pm:

lovejoy wrote:The bottom line for me on this is, what benefits will Brexit mean to the working family? I don't mean vacuous slogans like soverignty, or breaking the shackles of the EU, I mean what are the benefits? <snip>. So what is the upside I am missing?

Have you not been following this? You can now have a nice blue passport instead of one of those yucky french wine coloured ones. Won't that improve your life immeasurably. ;) :lol:
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2020 16:32 pm:

As someone who voted to remain, I have endeavored not to be a remoaner, since it was a majority decision, just, so we have to get on with it.

All I ask in return, is that all those who, having been massively lied to, voted for it, will hold their hands up and say "we made a mistake" when it all goes tits up. I'm not holding my breath.
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2020 16:36 pm:

covglaws wrote:As someone who voted to remain, I have endeavored not to be a remoaner, since it was a majority decision, just, so we have to get on with it.

Ditto. Called a democracy and I'd much prefer that to the alternative.......
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

13 Dec 2020 19:21 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:
covglaws wrote:As someone who voted to remain, I have endeavored not to be a remoaner, since it was a majority decision, just, so we have to get on with it.

Ditto. Called a democracy and I'd much prefer that to the alternative.......

The problem with democracy is that it only works if people are well informed.
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2020 00:38 am:

I also wouldn’t have an issue with it, if what we were told we were voting for in 2016 was what was on the table. It a million miles away however. I do agree with democracy fundamentally so this would mean a vote on the final position. Do you think we’ll have one?
Hero in the making

14 Dec 2020 01:51 am:

lovejoy wrote:I also wouldn’t have an issue with it, if what we were told we were voting for in 2016 was what was on the table. It a million miles away however. I do agree with democracy fundamentally so this would mean a vote on the final position. Do you think we’ll have one?

I read something the other day saying that of the people eligible to vote in the Brexit (advisory) Referendum, approx. 26% voted to leave and approx. 25% voted to stay. If there was to be another vote, it would be interesting to see the outcome if the other 49% were to use their votes too. Particularly with the changes in demographics over the last 4ish years. However, that's probably exactly why another vote would ever be sanctioned.
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2020 09:58 am:

Severus wrote:The problem with democracy is that it only works if people are well informed.

Or alternatively, the problem with democracy is that stupid people are allowed to vote. :D
Hall of Famer

14 Dec 2020 10:53 am:

I think this is possibly from the Bannon/Trump/Johnson playbook of being able to engage with people who wouldn't typically vote, keep the slogans simple, play to peoples gut instincts and use social media to target those susceptible to such messaging. You've got to admit it has been successful. Whether it is "a good thing" is less clear.
Hall of Famer

18 Dec 2020 08:03 am:

I thought this was an interesting article. I don’t understand why it has not been covered by the UK media more.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/12/17/world/europe/britain-covid-contracts.html
Hall of Famer

18 Dec 2020 08:28 am:

A full review of public spending during the pandemic should be undertaken. I appreciate things had to happen fast, but it sounds like there were potentially unlawful procurement practices being undertaken, which might have had the right intentions but ultimately were not best for the country. The review needs to be non-political to make it fair.
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby