O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite )

First team regular

Re: O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite ).

18 Dec 2019 17:22 pm:

SirHenry wrote:Mute - No one on here has not accepted the vote, just some pointing out that our system could be a little more democratic than it is. e.g. If you were an ardent Green supporter in Cotswold constituency the only way you can get your vote to count is to move.

As everyone who is entitled to vote has a vote, of course their vote counts, wherever they cast it. Everyone's vote is as meaningful as anyone else's. You are confusing the extent under FPTP as to how your vote influences the outcome. Frankly, if you are an ardent Green supporter, it matters little where you live (apart from Brighton, where Caroline Lucas has a very significant personal following). Rightly or wrongly, the majority of the English population see the main 2 parties as espousing the policies that, taken together, appeal most to them which is why they attract by far the largest shares of the popular vote.

Also, both major parties (and the Libs) recognise, to varying degrees the importance of the environment. It is up to you to what extent you agree with their views, policies and timescales in this respect. But you dont necessarily have to vote Green to be green.
Hall of Famer

Re: O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite ).

18 Dec 2019 18:08 pm:

Actually I am suggesting the extent under FPTP as to how a vote influences the outcome varies from one constituency to another to the point that most elections are won or lost in a handful or marginal constituencies. That makes those votes more meaningful in every practical way.

In that sense proportional representation is far more democratic from the pure perspective of your vote being as meaningful as mine in the make up of the government and, yes, I am fully aware that it does have other drawbacks.

I know many people who voted for a party they didn't agree with because they felt their vote would be wasted voting for the party they really wanted to vote for.

If there was a single issue referendum whether we should set a carbon neutral date of 40 years or less I would imagine that there would be a resounding yes vote. :idea:
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

Re: O / T: The Politics Show. ( Keep it polite )

19 Dec 2019 10:23 am:

Agreed, in part. The approach taken by the main parties is for the current system, however, change the system & they;ll change their approach accordingly. It would be wrong to think that they would apply the same approach used today with a different voting system.

Perceived wisdom in the main comes from the Pro EU media outlets. The City / central London for example has seen a huge surge in office space being taken up, with rents increasing, by the Fintech sector.

The City has actually grown it's global dominance & financial status in the last 3 years to cement it's no.1 position. Of course there will be changes, business's that only import / export or deal with EU countries exclusively will have a greater learning curve, but where business's are working with non EU countries they already have knowledge of what may be required, deal terms dependent.

There is a suggestion doing the rounds that a deal may be agreed by July 2020, we'll wait & see how much pressure Business in the EU member states puts on the EU Commission to get on with it.
Hall of Famer

19 Dec 2019 14:58 pm:

My perceived wisdom came from Government and Bank of England projections.

Hopefully you are right, London financial markets will flourish and wealth will be distributed around the UK.

Much alike the feeling of impending loss before some Gloucester games I will be delighted to be wrong,

The team has been selected and the game plan has been drawn up. I would have selected a different team and a different game plan, But we are all hoping for a win.

19 Dec 2019 17:25 pm:

The current Gov of the BoE, Mark Carney, was appointed by George Osbourne and followed, to a lesser extent, his negative position regarding Brexit. However, Carney's predecessor, Mervyn King was very positive.

The BoE have recently completed their war game, worst case scenario stress test of the financial institutions, where they raised interest rates to 4%, unemployment to 9.2% & GDP dropping to 4.7%.

All of the UK’ major banks survived this years so called “stress tests”, which was to understand how the financial system would be affected by a disorderly unplanned no deal exit. Part of the test involved the UK being in recession, it was the toughest war game test scenario ever applied to the banking system.

None of the banks failed, but Lloyds & Barclays would have to trigger some emergency provisions.

The test also included bond and stock dealers, commercial & personal insurers.

If the stress test criteria were to happen, the banks showed their capital ratios would still be more than twice as high as they were after the 2008 crisis – I was working in the City at that time, which was an “interesting” experience, watching people, colleagues, friends simply kicked out.
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2019 00:26 am:

It's good but I suspect if the Bus slogan had been "The banks will survive" there may have been a different outcome.

The Queens speech begins to lay out the task ahead for government depts to be ready by the end of 2020. Queue project managers keeping their heads very low or seeking early retirement. If time is set in stone they are going to have to start throwing cash and resources into the projects ASAP. Delivering projects on time is not a government forte.
First team regular

20 Dec 2019 11:00 am:

SirHenry wrote:It's good but I suspect if the Bus slogan had been "The banks will survive" there may have been a different outcome.

The Queens speech begins to lay out the task ahead for government depts to be ready by the end of 2020. Queue project managers keeping their heads very low or seeking early retirement. If time is set in stone they are going to have to start throwing cash and resources into the projects ASAP. Delivering projects on time is not a government forte.

Except this is enshrined in law. Unless they amend it part way through next year to allow for an extension. But if that is an option, why tie your hands in the first place?
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2019 14:17 pm:

chris1850 wrote:Except this is enshrined in law. Unless they amend it part way through next year to allow for an extension. But if that is an option, why tie your hands in the first place?

I suspect it is an effort to stop greedy lawyers from using lesser laws to thwart it, there have been quite a few court cases of recent :?
Hall of Famer

20 Dec 2019 15:23 pm:

chris1850 wrote:
SirHenry wrote:It's good but I suspect if the Bus slogan had been "The banks will survive" there may have been a different outcome.

Except this is enshrined in law. Unless they amend it part way through next year to allow for an extension. But if that is an option, why tie your hands in the first place?

Because it makes you look tough and no nonsense. Once we get past 1st Feb the right wing rags will drop the Brexit coverage and later in the year if they need to make a volte face they can do so without to much kerfuffle. If
Keyser Sose

31 Dec 2019 12:19 pm:

Boris has removed several aspects of the withdrawal agreement to prevent Gina Miller (funded by Blair & Soros) using any loophole to bring the matter back to Court.

The Jan 31st leaving date in now in UK Law; both the UK Gov & the EU have signed a declaration with regard to future trade arrangements.

As I've said before, the EU will want to use every & any means to extend the UK leaving. What Boris has done is create a hard deadline, we'll see now whether he extends it beyond Dec 2020 or not.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby