Pole Vault World Record

Hall of Famer

Pole Vault World Record

16 Feb 2020 06:04 am:

Just before switching over to watch the Leicester v Wasps match, I turned on BBC1 and saw this lad Armand "Mondo" Duplantis break the pole vault world record for the second time in a week. He is just 20.

He set a mark of 6.17m last week and raised that by 1cm yesterday to leave it at 6.18m which is 20' 2.3" (roughly as high as the top of the outside walls on a modern two-storey house. AMAZING young talent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/athletics/51517009
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

Re: Pole Vault World Record

16 Feb 2020 21:59 pm:

Reminds me of one of the worst sponsorship deal in History. Nike offered Sergey Bubka 100,000$ every time he broke the World Record. Now Sergey was very clever and financially astute, every time he broke the world record by 1cm, he would retire from the competition and collect his sponsorship money. He broke the World Record 35 times in his career!

The only downside is that at his peak, he could of gone a lot higher most probably than the 6.15m, his last world record. He took the Green, rather than do his best.
Hall of Famer

17 Feb 2020 10:44 am:

Indeed TC. Mondo was paid US$30,000 for the record he set on Saturday. He may end up quite rich!
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

18 Feb 2020 11:38 am:

Along with High Jump (my Sport), the Pole Vault are the only two sports where the competitors are encouraged to only beat the record by 1cm and then retire, as they can rack up bonus payments every time they break the record at Diamond League events. Seems strange to me that every sport played we want to see and the players want to put in their best effort, yet in these two sports we will never know how high the competitors could have gone at their peak.

Even though I competed at International level, I never had Norris McWherter hovering around the Jump Pit...

Return to Not Rugby