Varadkar resigns

Re: Varadkar resigns

lovejoy 25 Feb 2020 11:15 am said..

I thought leaving the EU was meant to reduce "red tape" and bureaucracy. Those companies struggling to survive will be tipped over the edge with this extra burden. I saw yesterday that Eric Vick Haulage is closing as it is no longer viable. Just Project Fear though - right?

"The border in the Irish Sea is a follow on from the EU wanting a border between RoI & NI." Really? Nothing to do with the UK leaving the EU? I see you are positioning the blame at the EU's door already. Always someone to blame, never actually admitting responsibility seems to be the mantra now.

Makes me sick, how far we done fell.
lovejoy
On the board

Castle Grim Reaper 25 Feb 2020 12:26 pm said..

lovejoy wrote:I thought leaving the EU was meant to reduce "red tape" and bureaucracy. Those companies struggling to survive will be tipped over the edge with this extra burden. I saw yesterday that Eric Vick Haulage is closing as it is no longer viable. Just Project Fear though - right?

"The border in the Irish Sea is a follow on from the EU wanting a border between RoI & NI." Really? Nothing to do with the UK leaving the EU? I see you are positioning the blame at the EU's door already. Always someone to blame, never actually admitting responsibility seems to be the mantra now.

Makes me sick, how far we done fell.

Well they blame the closure on emissions regulations meaning they need to replace their old trucks and not seeing a viable long-term business case for this, really can't see how staying in the EU would have changed this.
Castle Grim Reaper
Hall of Famer

SirHenry 25 Feb 2020 13:05 pm said..

Possible that continued EU membership would have made their long term business plan more viable, probably not. Difficult to tell without any knowledge of their Operating model.

The haulage industry is certainly going to be under great stress over the coming years with the need to upgrade vehicles to meet emission regulations.

For those that do operate across borders there is plenty of uncertainty that makes planning difficult:

https://www.rha.uk.net/getmedia/bf77e23b-8316-4118-80ba-0a44e15c8fae/Brexit-Operator-Checklist-V11-(February-2020).pdf.aspx

A lot depends on negotiations of course, worse case scenarios for sanitary checks and cabotage would doubtless tip the balance and make some existing businesses nonviable.

I suspect many operators will go to the wall if they can't compete. Question is to what extent they can pass on additional costs to the end consumer to survive.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer

SirHenry 28 Feb 2020 09:23 am said..

Government it would seem does not have quite the same level of confidence in technology.

https://www.ft.com/content/6cf7bba6-598f-11ea-abe5-8e03987b7b20?fbclid=IwAR3qQUpifLOrO740pfybQ48YF7JQJ30zJvOVVMA19v7ZrrMsRXXeR-OtTBk

Interestingly, Gove contradicted himself in his speech in Parliament on the question of checks across the Irish Sea .

Time will tell.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
Previous

Return to Not Rugby