Save our statues

Save our statues

Cherryade 09 Jun 2020 15:51 pm said..

https://petition.parliament.uk/petition ... VJj6oKBuuG

SAVE OUR HISTORIC STATUES

To petition to preserve and protect statues which are part of the history of the UK.

Not sure if the link works but just making people aware.

Fully appreciate the current feeling towards racism and I support the cause. However I believe this uncalled for vandalism, violence and disregard for people, property and respect is just not acceptable and should not be tolerated by the authorities and I would suspect the majority of the UK population agree?
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

Re: Save our statues

Sheddy Mcshedface 09 Jun 2020 15:59 pm said..

Darren Clarkes clearly got bored while in lock down without any golf to play! :lol:
Keyser Sose
Sheddy Mcshedface
Hall of Famer

adam 09 Jun 2020 20:07 pm said..

Is this a poll to rig?

Wtf is this on here? Shouldn't it remain on Facebook with the rest of the faux outrage?
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
adam
Senior squad member

Cherryade 10 Jun 2020 06:42 am said..

:roll: :lol:

"Not Rugby...if you don't like it don't read it"

Clue is in the title
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

adam 10 Jun 2020 07:27 am said..

One of the perils of only looking at unread posts is that you get them from all the forums at once.
It's still bleep though - more Facebook than shedweb...
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
adam
Senior squad member

Cherryade 10 Jun 2020 08:36 am said..

Entitled to your opinion Adam but I fail to see why it's not relevant to the "Non- Rugby" section?

I happen to believe that as a nation our history and historic artefacts, buildings etc should be respected and preserved and if necessary moved to within museums if they are deemed to be thought offensive...I don't believe they should just be removed, destroyed by undemocratic vandalism.

Even Churchill's monument in London was defaced!??...I mean come on there is simply no defence for that.....these people rioting, I mean protesting, should be utterly ashamed of themselves..... their ancestors would have gone through god knows what struggles to maintain this nation as a free, democratic country.

Jesus rant over :lol:
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

DieTrying 10 Jun 2020 09:12 am said..

I wonder if they'll remove the Statue of Ghandi from Parliament Square. He comments on the native population whilst living in South Africa are well documented. You can't re-write History but you can teach it properly, explaining it in order not to repeat past mistakes.
John Neary
DieTrying

AdrianM 10 Jun 2020 15:52 pm said..

Cherryade wrote:Entitled to your opinion Adam but I fail to see why it's not relevant to the "Non- Rugby" section?

I happen to believe that as a nation our history and historic artefacts, buildings etc should be respected and preserved and if necessary moved to within museums if they are deemed to be thought offensive...I don't believe they should just be removed, destroyed by undemocratic vandalism.

Even Churchill's monument in London was defaced!??...I mean come on there is simply no defence for that.....these people rioting, I mean protesting, should be utterly ashamed of themselves..... their ancestors would have gone through god knows what struggles to maintain this nation as a free, democratic country.

Jesus rant over :lol:

What’s the issue then, Colston’s statue has been moved to Bristol’s underwater museum. Given the fate of the 20,000 slaves he had tossed overboard to claim on his insurance it does seem a good new home for it.
AdrianM
Turns out for the A team

Cherryade 08 Jul 2020 16:44 pm said..

"Protect all monuments & statues from being taken down":

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/325814
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

Aaron 08 Jul 2020 20:06 pm said..

Is it not a good idea to re-examine the image we portray of our nation and our self awareness? A statue is more than a record of history; it implies a pride or honour in/upon the subject and so it makes a stronger statement about the present than it does about history.

When it comes to Colston, Bristol residents have been trying to have it removed to a museum For years and when that was blocked at least have a plaque to show that modern Bristol does not approve of the slave trade. Sadly the Conservative councillors wouldn’t consider this point of view and so without direct action this symbol of the attitude that some people are less human than others was not going to be taken down. You could speculate that this attitude was why the efforts to remove/re-label the statue were continually blocked.
Aaron
Senior squad member
Next

Return to Not Rugby