Save our statues

Re: Save our statues

Russglos 08 Jul 2020 21:01 pm said..

IMG_20200702_175629.jpg
Russglos
Hero in the making

Cherryade 09 Jul 2020 06:47 am said..

Best lobby to tear down every man made historical building, monument, site ever constructed throughout history then because it is highly likely just about every civilization throughout the world historically would have used slave labour to build it.....it may not be right (& I wholeheartedly deplore the idea of slavery) but it is history, right or wrong.
Cherryade
Vice-Captain

Aaron 09 Jul 2020 07:58 am said..

If you deplore slavery why do you object to a sensible discussion about the glorification of the slave traders?

Your argument that if you support what happened to Colston then you:

Cherryade wrote:Best lobby to tear down every man made historical building, monument, site ever constructed throughout history then

Is a massive over reaction aimed at shutting down the argument. If you’re so moved to defend history then you should surely be ensuring it is taught correctly and not just used to glorify the idea of English exceptionalism. I suspect however that you might not believe in English exceptionalism because it is so ingrained into your identity that you consider the idea of the truth of slave traders being taught to be a personal attack.
Aaron
Senior squad member

Lurker 09 Jul 2020 14:42 pm said..

I heard on BBC Glos this morning they are considering putting plaques on a couple of the warehouses in the Docks (Phillpotts and another one) to tell people about these people's historic involvement in the slave trade. I think the plaque approach is right as either trying to change the names on the buildings or knocking them down is not feasible or even sensible.
Lurker
Hall of Famer
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle

Baldhead2 12 Jul 2020 02:24 am said..

https://www.facebook.com/576810564/post ... 15565/?d=n

This is a link to the Michael Holding interview with Wardy and Nasser at the Cricket.
Baldhead2
Senior squad member
Previous

Return to Not Rugby