Bye Big Chief

Hall of Famer

Re: Bye Big Chief

30 Jul 2020 07:36 am:

You know what they say about people who live in glass houses...

Black Cherries Matter :oops:
Dude

30 Jul 2020 07:37 am:

Part 1

Exeter had a chance to be proactive but have chosen to hang on until, presumably, they are forced to change. Whether people agree or not the reality is such cultural appropriation is increasingly being frowned on by the people who matter - corporate sponsors! Reports suggest rebranding could cost Exeter £1 million and that presumably is a major factor in their decision.

Just last year Daniel Snyder, the rather unlikeable owner of the Washington football franchise, stated he would never change the name. Well guess what? He hasn’t had a Road To Damascus moment, he’s bowed to pressure from 87 sponsors and shareholders, including Nike, FedEx and Pepsi.
Last edited by Lebowski on 31 Jul 2020 06:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dude

30 Jul 2020 07:37 am:

Part 2

Interestingly there has been no visible movement from the Kansas City Chiefs yet, from whom Exeter copied the Tomahawk Chop etc. Personally I think it’s only a question of time before they too succumb to pressure and decide it’s time to change and if/when that happens Exeter’s position will become increasingly untenable.

At the moment I think the likes of Exeter are rather flying under the radar as rugby is a minority sport and I doubt any Native American organisations have ever heard of them. I suspect they are on borrowed time though.
On the board

30 Jul 2020 07:39 am:

I know it won't and maybe couldn't happen .but what would happen if TV companies refused to show the offensive logo it happens with alcohol advertising in France . Or if certain premiership teams said they found the logo/badge offensive and didn't want it on display in their grounds in the same way as somebody turning up with a swastika flag would be told they couldn't bring that inside the ground. A friend was stopped bringing his raw meat from a butcher's into Kingsholm . It was kept by a steward and returned upon leaving the ground
Hall of Famer

30 Jul 2020 13:47 pm:

FWIW the Chicago Blackhawks (ice hockey) are retaining their name and logo but banning fans from wearing headdress to games.

Not quite sure I follow the logic here, or at Exeter.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/chica ... index.html
Hall of Famer

30 Jul 2020 15:55 pm:

Mitch wrote:Exeter Chiefs to keep the name Chiefs but retire their mascot ‘Big Chief’.

Perhaps he should Sioux for unfair dismissal.
www.fumblings.net
Hall of Famer

30 Jul 2020 16:52 pm:

Oh Gee
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

30 Jul 2020 20:03 pm:

Just applying an Apache over the problem.....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

30 Jul 2020 20:47 pm:

I feel sorry for Shy Anne; no one thinks about her
The older I get the faster I was. Used to be known as Peanutcoxy
Hall of Famer

30 Jul 2020 20:58 pm:

We should stick to the cherry'o keys....
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby