Bye Big Chief

Hall of Famer

Re: Bye Big Chief

23 Aug 2020 15:57 pm:

The strength of the human character is to tolerate and forgive; to move on from what has gone on before. This act of forgiveness does not excuse the wrong that has been done but instead sets the conditions for us to change in a positive way; turning negative into positive. In all respects I can see nothing that is intolerant or discriminatory in how rugby has conducted itself. Thus I feel it is wrong to destroy aspects of a sporting culture that have had no presence in historic acts of wrongdoing. Those organisations who are so swift to ‘jump on the band waggon’ should first consider what they are aiming to achieve and more carefully calibrate their publicly broadcast opinions.
Tuffty (Andy Kershaw)

"The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
On the board

23 Aug 2020 16:19 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Sorry. I will shut up. Wasn't trying to offend anyone. Thought it was a forum.........

Sorry mute...I wasn’t trying to make anything personal. Forgive the somewhat obtuse expression of my frustrations. Am pleased to have you back.
Hall of Famer

23 Aug 2020 16:38 pm:

There is a distinct difference between not blaming / understanding the historical context of actions from the past whether that be wars or slavery and trying to address continuing unfairness or injustice that most certainly exists.

Whether or not renaming the Masters would contribute to the latter is, of course, open to debate but if there is a chance it would then it really wouldn't matter to me one jot if they did.

I recognise the privileged position we have enjoyed in our lives and that we are all personally responsible to be more ethical than the world we were brought into. That is the only way the human race will progress.

There will be times when what some see as progress, others see as the opposite, whether that is because they feel threatened or just ideologically opposed, which is fair enough.

When confronted with change a simple mantra is to try to understand the opposite view. Is their need for change greater than your dislike for it. As the saying goes "walk a mile in my shoes".

Something worth trying to do before kicking up a fuss, IMO.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hall of Famer

23 Aug 2020 17:42 pm:

“ When confronted with change a simple mantra is to try to understand the opposite view. Is their need for change greater than your dislike for it. As the saying goes "walk a mile in my shoes". ”

Totally agree.
But that needs to applied from all sides.
Not sure it is at the moment.
Hall of Famer

23 Aug 2020 22:17 pm:

And there is the rub. It's never going to be easy. Needs to be empathy from all sides.

I found the following interesting for perspective.

https://youtu.be/7YCu5B6AMoQ

Ultimately for me, renaming Marathon to Snickers was nonsensical but ultimately did it do me any harm? No. Even if I couldn't see the logic in renaming the Masters would I get bent out of shape over it? No.

Snickers is being renamed back to Marathon, but the Black and White Minstrel Show will not return. I retain faith that common sense and decency will prevail over time.
Hall of Famer

23 Aug 2020 23:35 pm:

madders wrote:The BBC hates AngloSaxon heterosexual males, British history, customs and heritage. They are so woke l can’t watch a lot of their programmes and Points West seems particularly bad.
I have always paid my dues, but l am sorely tempted to give the TV licence a miss as they seem to flout their obligation to be impartial and to broadcast programmes for their entire audience. They seem to concentrate on targeting a minority of their audience.

Oh no !! There goes something else !! Dursley RFC usually hold a Last Night of the Proms for the town and it is much enjoyed and appreciated. Where will it end indeed ??

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13264 ... s-protests
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

24 Aug 2020 06:21 am:

We will reach some common ground on Points West.

In a desperate attempt to level the playing field for minority audiences their Rugby coverage focuses on Bristol and Bath.
Hall of Famer

24 Aug 2020 07:29 am:

It’s difficult to tell whether this is tongue in cheek or genuine anger at a scaremongering story from the gutter press.
Hero in the making

24 Aug 2020 10:57 am:

1. In 2001, the Proms dropped much of the bombastic jingoism (which I don't have a particular problem with) following the 9/11 attacks for more contemplative pieces - I seem to remember Barber's Adagio for Strings. Considering the COVID pandemic I don't feel it would be out of place to do something similar.

2. These articles and pieces are not the aims of BLM or serious people who want greater equality. Often they are nonsense and lies, made up to turn people against a wider movement. Or, they are over-reactions by otherwise well-meaning people who fail to consult the very groups they aim to 'help' or support.

3. This raging against the 'woke agenda' is nearly always manufactured. In the same way that the right wing press invented stories about the EU and bendy bananas they are doing exactly the same here. For context, one of the best examples I have seen in recent years is the difference in how the Express, Mail etc treat the Duchess of Sussex and Duchess of Cambridge

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

Now of course, their major issue with Meghan could be related to her being American or a divorcee. However I would suggest that there is another reason.

Can I suggest that this thread is moved to Non-rugby?
Hall of Famer

24 Aug 2020 11:37 am:

Now definitely a Non-Rugby thread.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby