Premier players taking the knee

Premier players taking the knee

Biffo 11 Aug 2020 09:18 am said..

Today's Time reports that Premier players will be given the opportunity to take the knee before this weekend's matches. I'm totally against this as the movement has been hijacked to become Only Black Lives Matter. There has never been a problem with black players in rugby. There are never protests about white people being killed by black people. I hope players don't get sucked into what is now an anti-white movement.
Biffo
On the board

Re: Premier players taking the knee

coleser 11 Aug 2020 09:29 am said..

Ignorant Daily Mailesque nonsense.
coleser
Hero in the making

madders 11 Aug 2020 09:34 am said..

FFS, let’s just play rugby .
madders
Hall of Famer
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!

Up the jumper 11 Aug 2020 09:37 am said..

I have seen some reactionary, ill informed garbage on this site before, but this takes the absolute biscuit.

It really doesn't matter if you like it, agree with it or not. It you don't accept there is a problem with discrimination (whether race, sex, sexual orientation, age) then it is you that have a problem.

And happy to tell you to your face.
Up the jumper
Hero in the making
Another yard boys, another yard!

lovejoy 11 Aug 2020 09:40 am said..

This thread isn't going to go well.
lovejoy
On the board

lovejoy 11 Aug 2020 09:41 am said..

Biffo wrote:Today's Time reports that Premier players will be given the opportunity to take the knee before this weekend's matches. I'm totally against this as the movement has been hijacked to become Only Black Lives Matter. There has never been a problem with black players in rugby. There are never protests about white people being killed by black people. I hope players don't get sucked into what is now an anti-white movement.

Goodness.
lovejoy
On the board

lovejoy 11 Aug 2020 09:41 am said..

madders wrote:FFS, let’s just play rugby .

Goodness, again.
lovejoy
On the board

SonofPricey 11 Aug 2020 09:42 am said..

Where do you even start with a post like that.

I would suggest that some additional reading about the wider issues facing those from a BAME background would be a good start, rather than relying on the narrow Daily Mail/Express view on the BLM movement. Finally have a little think about how your comments may be perceived by those Gloucester supporters and players that come from a BAME background.

As others have said - I think this thread is one that probably needs to be locked now. Save for a few more enforced isolation periods being handed out.
SonofPricey
Hero in the making

Crasher 11 Aug 2020 09:43 am said..

Biffo wrote:There has never been a problem with black players in rugby. There are never protests about white people being killed by black people. I hope players don't get sucked into what is now an anti-white movement.

Rugby is a lot about solidarity with your team mates - imagine you had a team mate who had experienced some of the negative impacts of being black. Maybe that teammate wants to make a gesture and asked his team to show solidarity with him. It then becomes less about your own personal view - its much more about understanding the experiences of that person.

It was not long ago that Danny Cipriani was very vocal with the "Be Kind" movement and asked his team mates to support him through a difficult time on that and they did. No one questioned the rational.

If players have a desire to not take a knee for whatever reason, then that is also to be respected. It should be viewed completely neutral if they do or don't.
Crasher
Vice-Captain

colinboag 11 Aug 2020 09:44 am said..

Never been a fan of virtue-signalling. However, for someone to say that 'There has never been a problem with black players in rugby' - a pretty weird sentence in my view, but let's be charitable and guess that we know what he means - is just silly and wrong.

Try this: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... -on-racism

or https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51020761

or just Google 'racism rugby' and fill your boots.

Racism is still deep in the psyche of some Brits, even though huge progress has been made in recent years. Like the poster I have reservations about the way BLM has gone in recent weeks, but that shouldn't stop us continuing to call racism out whenever we encounter it.
colinboag
Hall of Famer
Cherchez la truffe
Next

Return to Not Rugby