Premier players taking the knee

Hall of Famer

Re: Premier players taking the knee

11 Aug 2020 09:49 am:

It’s pretty rare for white people to be killed or assaulted by black people just because they are white.
Conversely....check out the young hospital worker who had a car driven at him in Bristol. Just because he was black.
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 09:53 am:

Biffo wrote:Today's Time reports that Premier players will be given the opportunity to take the knee before this weekend's matches. I'm totally against this as the movement has been hijacked to become Only Black Lives Matter. There has never been a problem with black players in rugby. There are never protests about white people being killed by black people. I hope players don't get sucked into what is now an anti-white movement.

Sorry but where has it become Only Black Lives Matter or an Anti white movement?
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 09:57 am:

The answer to that is those who don’t understand or get their news from certain sources.

Taking the knee is a small gesture that means a lot to those who share the sentiment and doesn’t really affect those who don’t.

Really looking forward to seeing some rugby again
On the board

11 Aug 2020 10:12 am:

Think in light of previous events on here, mods/admin may be best to put this fire out sooner rather than later
Hero in the making

11 Aug 2020 10:17 am:

NorthernShedHead wrote:Think in light of previous events on here, mods/admin may be best to put this fire out sooner rather than later

No fire. Just a procession of informed people (with one unsurprising exception) queueing up to call out intolerance and rank ignorance.
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:18 am:

Biffo wrote:...the movement has been hijacked to become Only Black Lives Matter...

A well as being objectionable your post contains fake news - that is not the name of the campaign.
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:20 am:

Suggest folk listen to Ugo on the BBC rugby pod cast. There is a Gloucester input to this topic.
'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Hero in the making

11 Aug 2020 10:20 am:

I think this thread should be allowed to continue. Yes it will be contentious for those who seek their knowledge of racism from subjective sources but goodness me the debate is one that we have to have . Racism goes deep into the corners of our society and the way to drive it out is to talk about it and help to spread understanding and tolerance. Let’s keep our cool and increase our knowledge and respect .
West is best
On the board

11 Aug 2020 10:23 am:

Very fair points and I rescind the opinion to lock!
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:30 am:

My only concern is the the gesture of taking the knee may become a "fashion" without the actual ethos being fully accepted and adopted. I compare it to C.N.D in the 1960's when people wore the iconic badge as a cool fashion accessory.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby