Premier players taking the knee

Hall of Famer

Re: Premier players taking the knee

18 Aug 2020 18:12 pm:

Nice to see the South African government entering into the spirit of it
Hall of Famer

18 Aug 2020 19:34 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:Nice to see the South African government entering into the spirit of it

Do tell
Hall of Famer

18 Aug 2020 21:07 pm:

Interesting. It wasn't just the SA players who stood at Quins, but they all did, and of course Ruan. Did any of the SA players in the other games take the knee? If not you kind of think it must be coordinated. They wore the anti racism t-shirts so it seems odd that none of them kneeled unless there's some sort of agreed position they're taking on this that they haven't announced. It certainly seems to have upset the boys back home!

18 Aug 2020 22:16 pm:

I would say that the SA minister is trying to politcise, via colour, the issue. That has been half the problem, with various groups jumping on the bandwagon for political reasons. This 2017 article explains it from Martin Luther King to the NFL:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3769534/mart ... e-history/
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 05:40 am:

lucifer wrote:Interesting. It wasn't just the SA players who stood at Quins, but they all did, and of course Ruan. Did any of the SA players in the other games take the knee? If not you kind of think it must be coordinated. They wore the anti racism t-shirts so it seems odd that none of them kneeled unless there's some sort of agreed position they're taking on this that they haven't announced. It certainly seems to have upset the boys back home!

They mentioned in commentary I think or may be it was a pod that South African players wouldn’t kneel, with them being a very religious nation they only tend to kneel for Jesus.
Site Admin

19 Aug 2020 15:25 pm:

Gb83 wrote:they only tend to kneel for Jesus.

How do they tie their shoes? ;)
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

19 Aug 2020 15:49 pm:

How do they tie their shoes? ;)[/quote]

Sitting on a stool
Dude

20 Aug 2020 07:12 am:

TheOptimistSenior wrote:A question simply to clarify, Leb.
Does your last paragraph mean that if Ruan's decision was not because of his religious beliefs (although I'm sure it was) you would not respect it?

I can’t answer that. I’m pretty certain it was on religious grounds hence my comment.

Hypothetically if it was for another reason I cannot say whether I would respect it or not without knowing more. IMO it’s too simplistic to say you should always respect other people’s views even if they are different to yours. Generally I do, but not always.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby