Premier players taking the knee

Re: Premier players taking the knee

SirHenry 08 Sep 2020 08:02 am said..

The fight for racial equality within society.

Not too difficult to understand surely?
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

Gloucester Mute 08 Sep 2020 11:02 am said..

Not exactly what Lovejoy wrote. He insinuated it was more than just regarding race.

I still maintain it is a "fad" that may end up back-firing as it dies out.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Posts: 2629  Location: Dursley - At the heart of the County

SirHenry 08 Sep 2020 15:55 pm said..

That's what you chose to read into it...
SirHenry
Hall of Famer
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living

lucifer 08 Sep 2020 19:46 pm said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Not exactly what Lovejoy wrote. He insinuated it was more than just regarding race.

I took it in the context of race, though it could be extended other forms of inequality. I've read some footballers want it to continue all season. At what point does it stop being a fad GM? Also what back-firing do you see happening?
lucifer
Hall of Famer

Gloucester Mute 08 Sep 2020 22:33 pm said..

Lovejoy wrote " fight for equality in society" re. taking the knee - no specific mention of racism.

For me anything that starts off with a lot of noise and then rapidly drops away is a fad.

The "campaign" will back-fire when some kneel and the majority stand. Either do it en masse or not at all OR do it all together on one special occasion only.

This is Britain not the USA - why do we continually have to follow their (rather poor) examples ??
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

Severus 08 Sep 2020 23:51 pm said..

GM I think you need to accept the fact that you just won’t be able to understand this and move on. It’s just a small brief gesture at the beginning of a game that means a lot to many people. If you don’t like it do something else for those 15 or so seconds.
Severus
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 09 Sep 2020 10:56 am said..

Gloucester Mute wrote:Not exactly what Lovejoy wrote. He insinuated it was more than just regarding race.

The whole context of this discussion is around race, clearly.
lovejoy
On the board

Gloucester Mute 09 Sep 2020 19:19 pm said..

Why didn't you write that then ?? :roll: :roll:

Severus - You are probably right and I should take the opportunity to open another bottle of grog. I actually think that there are an awful lot of people in this country/Europe who wonder why we are mimicking the US.
Gloucester Mute
Hall of Famer

lovejoy 10 Sep 2020 11:22 am said..

I agree, regarding the mimicking the US.

Our populist politicians, on both sides of the Atlantic, haven't covered themselves in glory during the pandemic.
lovejoy
On the board

The Vic 10 Sep 2020 15:20 pm said..

I would much prefer something that addressed the issues that are faced in the UK rather than adopting an American response. American policing is very different to British, American issues are not necessarily the same a British. There probably needs to be more nuanced conversation with this
The Vic
Hall of Famer
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby