Premier players taking the knee

Senior squad member

Re: Premier players taking the knee

11 Sep 2020 14:38 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Baldhead - genuine questions for you.

How long would you want this kneeling "fad" in English rugby/sport to continue for ?? For ever ?? Do you want supporters to join in ?? What about those who refuse (for whatever reasons) to "join in" ?? Is BLM the right political grouping to follow ?? Do you want the "custom" to extend throughout all levels of sport in this country ?? Do you actually believe there is racism in rugby ??

let me ask you why do you have such a problem with it? what actual impact is it having on you? and why arent you empathetic to its principles? Why do you feel the need to critique, rather than support? Where do you see society going over the next 2 decades in terms of racial diversity? and where do you think you fit into that future?
Hall of Famer

11 Sep 2020 16:59 pm:

As The Vic wrote "I would much prefer something that addressed the issues that are faced in the UK rather than adopting an American response. American policing is very different to British, American issues are not necessarily the same as British."

For me this kneeling lark is all a bit orchestrated, "hey look at us" and not really achieving anything. Look at the fuss that is now ensuing with the ECB - kneeling for the West Indies series but zippety with Pakistan/Australia. It was a knee-jerk reaction copying the Americans - as so often now happens in the faddish world we live in.

Does it affect me ?? Not a jot. Do I like it for UK ?? Not at all. What about 20 years time ?? I'll be long gone.

We are not an American off-shoot despite MacDonalds, Coca-Cola and Nike. We are Britain. We have our issues - let's sort them out our British way NOT via the BLM kneeling ritual which actually splits British people's reactions. It was a pandemic happening that many jumped on the bandwagon of. I say jump off and fight all inequality our way not the US way - that hasn't worked at all.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 12 Sep 2020 07:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

11 Sep 2020 23:50 pm:

Not that it changes things much, but The Vic wrote that not me.
Last edited by lovejoy on 12 Sep 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

12 Sep 2020 07:38 am:

Ooops sorry. Now edited correctly.

Totally agree with your "mimicking the US" comment BTW.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Senior squad member

13 Sep 2020 07:19 am:

As you get older you realise your views on life and the world around you is gradually becoming out of date that the world and its youth are moving in directions that you’d never comprehended, your past is well in the past.

As it is with every generation so the reference to what is a US mimicking of behaviours isn’t recent it’s been for decades already. TV, technology, the internet is blending cultures virtually to the point it’s only Economics, the strongest customs and language that’s separating the youth of the world.

BLM has originated out of the US but it’s a global movement and it’s purpose is clear and obvious. I’m sorry Mute but as someone has posted you appear to be Somebody whose not going to understand why BLM is necessary and therefore your trivialising of it will offend. That what you don’t understand I was taught you research query and learn about so you can find a way to st least appreciate the pain involved.

Cricket is a UK passion so if you see an idol like Michael Holding in tears over the racism he has experienced even recently ... surely a switch in your head must be flicked on to realise this cannot go on.It should by today’s standards never have started but we are where we are and it’s time to right the wrongs of the past. We WERE a white society we ARE NOW a very multi cultural society born out of the empire past. There should be no them and us childishness it’s just us full stop. Anyone who joins needs to feel that and be comforted by it and we need the comfort “we” is a far better place than us and them.
Hall of Famer

13 Sep 2020 10:49 am:

Baldhead - great words BUT IMHO I don't think that here in Britain we have anywhere near the issues that the US have. If they utilise BLM rallies/riots there, then great and I hope it makes a difference.

I genuinely think that the breakdown of "them and us" in this country is needed much less than in the US. Plus here that it is not just race but also socio-economic/class-divide.

Different countries - different approaches NOT one-size-fits-all.

Let's agree to disagree. Plus sometimes the young can learn stuff from those older than them..........as well as vice-versa.
Hall of Famer

13 Sep 2020 11:24 am:

We do not need the issues of the UK to be "anywhere near as bad as the US" to still be substantial and need addressing. Taking the knee is just a symbol that will run it's course much like "clap of carers". What comes after is what will be significant.

Just last week the government used it's majority to vote down proposals to implement recommendations from the first phase of the Grenfell Tower Inquiry. It would seem the message is not getting through.
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Previous

Return to Not Rugby