Premier players taking the knee

Hall of Famer

Re: Premier players taking the knee

11 Aug 2020 10:34 am:

Here we go, middle class white men spouting how racist the UK is. Obviously not that bad judging by the arrivals via dinghies to the South coast.
Now remind me, how racist is Rwanda?
I’ve only ever been wrong once; l thought l was wrong, but l was wrong!
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:42 am:

2 wrongs make a right?
The frightening thing is not dying, the frightening thing is not living
Hero in the making

11 Aug 2020 10:43 am:

Madders. I take the view, with others , that we must put put our own house in order first. Once we accomplish this then we can start to work outwards. I feel your defensiveness bursting out of your statement so why not inform this valuable debate by providing us with objective data that shows how , in your view, UK society is really inclusive ? Our whole language is riddled with words that are designed to inflame prejudice eg immigrants rather than refugees.; them rather than us etc.
West is best
Hero in the making

11 Aug 2020 10:44 am:

madders wrote:Here we go, middle class white men spouting how racist the UK is. Obviously not that bad judging by the arrivals via dinghies to the South coast.

Only black people should be showing concern about racism? Eh?
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:45 am:

madders wrote:Here we go, middle class white men spouting how racist the UK is. Obviously not that bad judging by the arrivals via dinghies to the South coast.

The assumption that those "spouting" are white demonstrates stereotyping, does it not?
Vice-Captain

11 Aug 2020 10:45 am:

Wow, nice new take on this... conflating the desperation of people entering the country with a discussion on racism.

It’s not about “how racist” we are; It’s not a competition. It’s an aknowledgement that racism
exists.

Interestingly the whole point of the movement is to start conversations like this so moderating it would be counter to that
On the board

11 Aug 2020 10:46 am:

Whataboutery level 100.

I'd imagine those arriving are simply looking for a safe haven/better standard of life - it's hardly a metric for the levels of racism in the UK. I've friends who are Asian who were told on the day following the brexit result "you can go back to where you came from now"... they're born and raised in leeds!
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:48 am:

Biffo wrote:Today's Time reports that Premier players will be given the opportunity to take the knee before this weekend's matches. I'm totally against this as the movement has been hijacked to become Only Black Lives Matter. There has never been a problem with black players in rugby. There are never protests about white people being killed by black people. I hope players don't get sucked into what is now an anti-white movement.

I usually keep my politics out of this forum but I've never read such rubbish, this is complete and utter claptrap and not deserving of this forum.

BLM is about giving the black community parity and equal standing within areas such as education, working, health, policing & politics

The fact that in all these areas there are shocking statistics shows that we have a tonne of work to be done with unconscious bias and after years of taking it they are now wanting to speak out and I stand by them 100%
In Skivington we Trust, the future is Cherry & white
Hall of Famer

11 Aug 2020 10:49 am:

How desperate do you have to be to set sail across the channel in an overcrowded rib, and who knows what horrors those people have experienced before that?

In my opinion the Scottish Government got this right a few years ago:

“Scotland has a long history of welcoming people of all nationalities and faiths, and of supporting their integration into the Scottish way of life and recognising the vibrancy they bring to our society and culture.

“There is robust evidence that migrants are not a drain on society and can contribute significantly if they are given the same rights and opportunities as any other citizen. Scotland’s 369,000 migrants from outside the UK are mostly young, economically active and highly qualified.'

The people I know who have come to the UK in recent years have brought with them an admirable work ethic...something that more than a few of our fellow-countrymen and women would do well to adopt.
Cherchez la truffe
Hero in the making

11 Aug 2020 10:50 am:

Whataboutism. A classic tool used to try and divert attention away from the problem.

Prior warning about some of the language in this clip but it is a brilliant explanation (and if I might add, hilarious)

https://youtu.be/1ZAPwfrtAFY
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby