Sir Lewis

Dude

Re: Sir Lewis

31 Dec 2020 20:57 pm:

Thank you Allen. I was going to post the same. This is about politics and personal prejudice. An embarrassment to Gloucester rugby.

Lewis Hamilton has achieved what no other racing driver has ever done. I don’t agree with ‘honours’ but given we have them he absolutely deserves his. I’m not going to say anything about the ‘knee-taking’ comment as that would open a whole new can of (racist) worms. Bugger, said something.

The greatest irony is he has been given this honour by the government those who (largely) are upset about it voted for. Gotta laugh. :lol: :lol:
Hall of Famer

31 Dec 2020 21:01 pm:

Lebowski wrote:Thank you Allen. I was going to post the same. This is about politics and personal prejudice. An embarrassment to Gloucester rugby.

Lewis Hamilton has achieved what no other racing driver has ever done. I don’t agree with ‘honours’ but given we have them he absolutely deserves his. I’m not going to say anything about the ‘knee-taking’ comment as that would open a whole new can of (racist) worms. Bugger, said something.

The greatest irony is he has been given this honour by the government those who (largely) are upset about it voted for. Gotta laugh. :lol: :lol:

Agreed Andy.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

31 Dec 2020 21:10 pm:

+1
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 10:05 am:

I'm not his biggest fan, but his achievements stand out and deserves credit for that alone. It would be interesting to see how he would have faired against someone like Jim Clark - who in my eyes is the greatest driver the UK produced
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 11:20 am:

For all those who are taking such great offence, it was a joke on New Years Eve designed to lighten the mood and was rugby related as it was a play on words with Lewis Ludlow. Sorry if I ruffled anybody's solemnity :?
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 13:40 pm:

The Vic wrote:I'm not his biggest fan, but his achievements stand out and deserves credit for that alone. It would be interesting to see how he would have faired against someone like Jim Clark - who in my eyes is the greatest driver the UK produced

Spoken like a true Scot! :D

Clark was the most naturally gifted driver of them all - I saw him drive - surreal, instinctive, smooth car control. I was 17 when he died in a pointless F2 race in Germany and it devastated me. Had he lived, the battles between him and that other gifted Scot, Sir Jackie Stewart (JYS), would have been epic.

Interestingly, Jim Clark was the first of the UK greats to be a tax exile (moved to Switzerland) and was quickly followed by JYS, who was (and remains) a Swiss resident long before he was knighted.

Since then, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Jenson Button have gone the same route along with loads of other UK champions, notably Chris Froome.

Very interesting article on BBC Sport site about Lewis - worth a read. Very balanced and revealing.
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 13:44 pm:

Castle Grim Reaper wrote:For all those who are taking such great offence, it was a joke on New Years Eve designed to lighten the mood and was rugby related as it was a play on words with Lewis Ludlow. Sorry if I ruffled anybody's solemnity :?

CGR - it was not your most distinguished post and the needless digs about tax exile and knee-taking - in the latter case, try putting yourself in his shoes just for once. You might read the article on BBC Sport today - balanced and informative about one of this country's greatest ever competitors.
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 13:57 pm:

Allen Prior wrote:CGR - it was not your most distinguished post and the needless digs about tax exile and knee-taking - in the latter case, try putting yourself in his shoes just for once. You might read the article on BBC Sport today - balanced and informative about one of this country's greatest ever competitors.

Not going to let this be dragged into a big argument as I am not that interested, however it should be noted that I probably can't afford his shoes ;)
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 14:01 pm:

MattChelt wrote:100% well earned through his on-track success.

+1

At the absolute top of his sport year after year. Might not like the "side-shows" he brings alongside his driving BUT no denying what he has/is achieving as a Brit on the global sports stage.

Incredibly mealy-mouthed comments from a few. :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

01 Jan 2021 14:29 pm:

Allen Prior wrote:
The Vic wrote:I'm not his biggest fan, but his achievements stand out and deserves credit for that alone. It would be interesting to see how he would have faired against someone like Jim Clark - who in my eyes is the greatest driver the UK produced

Spoken like a true Scot! :D

Clark was the most naturally gifted driver of them all - I saw him drive - surreal, instinctive, smooth car control. I was 17 when he died in a pointless F2 race in Germany and it devastated me. Had he lived, the battles between him and that other gifted Scot, Sir Jackie Stewart (JYS), would have been epic.

Interestingly, Jim Clark was the first of the UK greats to be a tax exile (moved to Switzerland) and was quickly followed by JYS, who was (and remains) a Swiss resident long before he was knighted.

Since then, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Jenson Button have gone the same route along with loads of other UK champions, notably Chris Froome.

Very interesting article on BBC Sport site about Lewis - worth a read. Very balanced and revealing.

Well I've deliberately left aside the tax stuff as it can obscure the real talent they all had. For me the reason I think some of the drivers from the 50s & 60s were better and why Clark was the stand out of them all is that they didn't just race F1. They raced in everything, with far less technology. Some of Clark's history is incredible, sometime ago Grand Tour (Clarkson, Hammond & May) did a piece on him. It was a nice piece, a little clip of it. Worth watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MONUzGzoQiE
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby