Sir Lewis

Hall of Famer

Re: Sir Lewis

01 Jan 2021 23:18 pm:

my father went to school with John Surtees, who remains the only person to win both motorcycle and motorcar world championships - another great along with those mentioned above
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

02 Jan 2021 08:10 am:

Lurker wrote:my father went to school with John Surtees, who remains the only person to win both motorcycle and motorcar world championships - another great along with those mentioned above

If anyone deserved a knighthood for services to motorsport, it was Big John; I added my name to a campaign to get him made Sir John but, sadly, he died before it had a chance to happen. He also suffered the monumental loss of his son Henry in a freak motor racing accident at Brands Hatch.

I doubt John's record of being world champion on 2 and 4 wheels will ever be equalled. Ridiculously modest and self-effacing but one of the most determined competitors ever. Had the Ferrari team management not been monumentally stupid in 1966 and effectively dismissed him, Surtees would have been world champion, not Jack Brabham.
The artist formerly known as Porky
Hall of Famer

02 Jan 2021 11:22 am:

For those wondering why the likes of Hamilton and many others take the knee and use their platform to highlight issues around race this is from Dragons player Aaron Hewitt following their game yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ashton_hewitt/statu ... 17248?s=19
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

02 Jan 2021 15:42 pm:

Sheddy Mcshedface wrote:For those wondering why the likes of Hamilton and many others take the knee and use their platform to highlight issues around race this is from Dragons player Aaron Hewitt following their game yesterday.

https://twitter.com/ashton_hewitt/statu ... 17248?s=19

Indeed. How anyone can say that using a gesture to bring attention to racism in society is somehow a bad thing is beyond me. Compared to other knighthoods (e.g., Sir Clive Woodward) Hamilton’s is more deserving imo.
Hall of Famer

02 Jan 2021 22:16 pm:

As the father to 2 mixed race kids, I'd reply by saying I'm sick of gestures. Let's do something about it. Players taking a knee before a game does nothing to prevent my son getting called a n***er at school (or the teacher who called me saying 'boys will be boys')
Last edited by steckers on 03 Jan 2021 08:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Site Admin

03 Jan 2021 00:31 am:

That’s a really poor response from the school, I hope you took it to the head or someone higher that can ensure that the educators of your children are committed to stamping out racism.
No place for them in teaching if they are not.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

03 Jan 2021 08:35 am:

Yeah i challenged it - ironically if you have your haircut too short you get a tougher punishment!
Hall of Famer

03 Jan 2021 08:41 am:

steckers wrote:As the father to 2 mixed race kids, I'd reply by saying I'm sick of gestures. Let's do something about it. Players taking a knee before a game does nothing to prevent my son getting called a n***er at school (or the teacher who called me saying 'boys will be boys')

I would argue that raising awareness does help prevent racial abuse. Doing nothing changes nothing.
Hall of Famer

03 Jan 2021 09:40 am:

Maybe doing 'something' would be better? Symbolic stuff makes people feel like they are doing something and the intention is good but wont change anything.
Hall of Famer

03 Jan 2021 09:50 am:

steckers wrote:Maybe doing 'something' would be better? Symbolic stuff makes people feel like they are doing something and the intention is good but wont change anything.

Symbolic acts are very powerful, that’s why they are used. The problem is that what can a person do? We have laws against racism, institutions and organisations have rules against it, but it still persists.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby