Lockdown Reads

Lockdown Reads

05 Jan 2021 22:44 pm:

I thought I'd start a Thread so people can post recommendations for books they've read, Rugby or Non Rugby, Fiction or Non Fiction, they feel others may like. I'll start with one of each:

Rugby: Fringes, Life on the edge of Professional Rugby by Ben Mercer.

Non Rugby: If you've ever played the game or watched the TV series: The Witcher by Andrzej Sapkowski. ( Note: If you do pick these up, read the 2 Short Story Prequels first ).
aka John Neary
Hero in the making

Re: Lockdown Reads

05 Jan 2021 23:35 pm:

Rugby.. “Beware of the dog”....Brian Moore.
Non rugby would depend on your other interests, but as an enjoyable read, pretty much anything by Wilbur Smith.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something." ~ Plato

05 Jan 2021 23:58 pm:

Chris in Spain wrote:Rugby.. “Beware of the dog”....Brian Moore.
Non rugby would depend on your other interests, but as an enjoyable read, pretty much anything by Wilbur Smith.

Brian Moore: I've read both versions.
Wilbur Smith: Spot on.

I'll read most anything.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

06 Jan 2021 08:13 am:

Brian Moore’s books are good

Lord of the Rings
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Vice-Captain

06 Jan 2021 08:41 am:

Exe Men: The Extraordinary Rise of Exeter Chiefs is meant to be a very good read if you want an insight into one of our westcountry rivals.

Have just read David Copperfield. Very good book, albeit a very long book.
On the board

06 Jan 2021 09:10 am:

Non rugby - peter may - the lewis trilogy, an excellent read
On the board

06 Jan 2021 09:18 am:

Rugby - Rubbing Shoulders by Phil Blakeway

Non rugby - I've been reading the Bernicia Chronicles by Matthew Harffy. They are a lot like Bernard Cornwell's the last Kingdom series. Fiction based on historic events I like that type of thing.
Hero in the making

06 Jan 2021 09:29 am:

Might cause some heat on here, but all 3 of James Haskell, Dylan Hartley and Joe Marler books last year are outstanding. For an insight into what it takes to be a professional and the sacrifices and general hurt (title) it takes to become a professional id recommend Dylan Hartley's. For an insight into the Mental Challenges and some Funny tales id recommend Joe Marler's. Haskell's is quite self deprecating and good for rugby tales aswell as his relationship with Eddie Jones.

Non Rugby - I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes,

None Rugby but still Sport - Behind the Mask - Tyson Fury
Hall of Famer

06 Jan 2021 09:31 am:

John Daniell - Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary, NZ players career in the Top14, we get a mention !

The Honjin Murders - Seishi Yokomizo, translated, not the original Japanese. Murder mystery in the style of Agatha Christie

06 Jan 2021 09:33 am:

stuartjames wrote:John Daniell - Confessions of a Rugby Mercenary, NZ players career in the Top14, we get a mention !

The Honjin Murders - Seishi Yokomizo, translated, not the original Japanese. Murder mystery in the style of Agatha Christie

Just finished the Daniell one.
aka John Neary
Next

Return to Not Rugby