The new single market ?.....the UK

Hall of Famer

The new single market ?.....the UK

08 Jan 2021 08:50 am:

The UK has seemingly replaced a single market of half a billion Europeans free of non-tariff barriers with a single market smaller than ( again in practice ) the size of the UK.

There is a trade border in the Irish Sea. Northern Ireland is for all intent and purpose is left in the EU single market. There are now non-tariff barriers between Great Britain and Northern Ireland as a result . The UK now stands outside the system that it was instrumental in shaping.

Ironically, Brexit has been the catalyst for the European Union to sign investment and trade deals far more quickly than the UK even ; and even with the Chinese !. UK companies exporting to the EU now have layer upon layer of paperwork to complete regarding components in relation to their source of origin. So the childs doll with the eye made in China now is subject to scrutiny, but the same made in France can potentially expect Chinese investment as well as continued free movement for export within the EU.

Margaret Thatcher ( in effect) fought for the single market, and following her threat of intervention from the European Court of Justice Japanese investment etc enabled the UK car manufacturing industry to develop in the UK and exports to Europe followed. London was ironically the centre of the euro even though we didn't use the currency here and now some are calling for data protocols to follow the USA standards!. Now our financial services sector is holding two hands up with a shrug of the shoulders .

There is no European Court of Justice to run to any longer.
Last edited by RTS2 on 08 Jan 2021 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hall of Famer

Re: The new single market ?.....the UK

08 Jan 2021 08:59 am:

We are an Island and BJ has achieved the Trump-American dream.

Biden when approached after the USA election by a BBC reporter for some reflection was greeted with " who, the BBC ?...I am Irish " and then walked off.

Even Putin is laughing at us, and as Europe will move closer to the USA with the new Democratic government and senate, BJ can resign or get the push , write his Downing Street memoirs, get paid £'s for after diner speeches whilst the rest of the country pays the price and struggles to rebuild the economic and social fabric of society after the Brexit fall out and Covid-19.

Lets discuss......
Hero in the making

08 Jan 2021 09:48 am:

They knew what they were voting for.........................
Another yard boys, another yard!
Hall of Famer

08 Jan 2021 22:12 pm:

Some real issues at ports emerging.

Panic -buying in NI in some area's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55586246
Hall of Famer

18 Jan 2021 23:01 pm:

Now I’ve long given up asking what the benefits of Brexit are, but if there’s one group who’s were well represented at the negotiating table it was the fishermen. It turns out today even they have a compensation fund (ie tax payers money) to help them out. This begs the question, if even the fishermen are moaning about Brexit exactly who is benefitting?
Hall of Famer

25 Jan 2021 08:09 am:

Interestingly there are reports that Govt. officials are actually suggesting to companies that they set up EU "hubs" to avoid additional bureaucracy and costs in getting goods into the EU ! .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... shop-in-eu
Hall of Famer

03 Feb 2021 12:25 pm:

One month in and the oven ready carefully negotiated," in no way is this a border between NIreland and the rest of the uk "(rUK) and if people tell you that it is then get them to send it to me and I'll bin it" seems to be unravelling.

Gove is apparently unhappy with the arrangements and he'll no doubt be having strong words with those who negotiated and agreed it including himself.

What astonishes me is that even after all this time and the whole "we knew what we were voting for" no Brexiteer has any solution to this issue other than kicking the can down the road. In fact I'd welcome a Brexit voter to explain how this should work.
Hall of Famer

03 Feb 2021 17:37 pm:

I thought I was a miserable so-and-so Lovejoy but you easily cap me.

Reams and reams when the Govt (along with the globe) were struggling with Covid-19 and your constant criticism of the PM and others. Now the vaccine roll-out is going very well in this country you jump back on the Brexit train and criticise the Govt.

I was a remainer along with 47% of the U.K but I have accepted democracy and will just have to go with the flow - without non-stop bleating. Like GRFC we are where we are.

And to be quite frank having seen the way the European bloc have acted in the recent vaccine war I am pretty glad to be rid of them.

Can I suggest if you really hate this country and it's leaders and politics you move to a country with the doctrines you like. And leave us to get on with living...... :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

03 Feb 2021 20:38 pm:

GM, just to remind you, there's nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion.
Hall of Famer

04 Feb 2021 00:22 am:

No there isn't ;) BUT might be nice to say something new and original.

More like listening to the same old tune played endlessly over and over again on a loop.

Small mercy is the relative brevity of his posts compared to Dr Know-it-All, and some. :roll: :roll:
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Next

Return to Not Rugby