The new single market ?.....the UK

Site Admin

Re: The new single market ?.....the UK

09 Feb 2021 16:20 pm:

The trade deal should have covered this. If it hasn't, or the UK just didn't manage to negotiate it into the deal then they have stuffed a bunch of people who relied on it.. That said, some of our seafood is very good quality, and is/was largely sold into the EU, so the EU have equally shot themselves in the foot by not ensuring it was in the deal for their own interests..

Hope to see lots more of it in the UK shops soon..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 17:49 pm:

Absolutely. Some great British fish and sea-food needs to be seen on British tables.

Whilst there were some good things about Europe now that we've left I'm not going to mope around whining. I'd rather get on and take some positives out of it.

The way Brussels and the Commission are going I can't imagine that it will be too long before other members follow UK's example.

Hopefully Scotland and the Krankie will be just in time to jump on a sinking-ship !! ;)
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Site Admin

09 Feb 2021 18:22 pm:

On that, we agree..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...

09 Feb 2021 19:20 pm:

Anyone watching the series on Cornish Fishing will realise what is going on...suggest you do on catch up on the plight of the great guys in Padstow...its all about the price currently there are no tariffs on crab and shellfish. Its all about chasing the right price in the market...the Irish can supply the French and Spanish at the inflated prices....there is no market in the UK at the moment with restaurants shut...and China is not importing from UK due to uncertainty of standards.

The coals on the trawlers will tell you how they are disappointed with the outcomes at the moment.
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 19:20 pm:

Well its scotlands right to decide what they want either way. let's see how their local elections go perhaps if the cabinet go up there more often it will spur a surge in unionist votes. Nothing to do with Westminster. I also think Northern Ireland will migrate to Dublin given the trade arrangements, in due course.
I remember Farage telling us proudly how the UK leaving was the first of many countries to go...Italy, Greece, France and soon the break up of the whole EU. Not really turrned out like that has it. One of many things he's been wrong about.
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 19:21 pm:

King Prawn Bhuna wrote:Anyone watching the series on Cornish Fishing will realise what is going on...suggest you do on catch up on the plight of the great guys in Padstow...its all about the price currently there are no tariffs on crab and shellfish. Its all about chasing the right price in the market...the Irish can supply the French and Spanish at the inflated prices....there is no market in the UK at the moment with restaurants shut...and China is not importing from UK due to uncertainty of standards.

The coals on the trawlers will tell you how they are disappointed with the outcomes at the moment.

Which begs the question that if even the fishermen are moaning who exactly was Brexit meant to benefit?
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 19:42 pm:

Well, two years ago 20,000 tons of cod were imported to the UK from China !! . The highest importation was from Iceland -28,000 tons and even 7,000 tons from Russia. Both of our local Fish and Chip shops in Clevedon buy Cod from Russia.

The total amount of Cod landed by UK vessels in UK waters and abroad was 29,000 in 2019.

Point being we are really supporting our fishing industry by buying all this imported Cod !!. ;)

I guess its down to price and availability. I have asked both of local Fish'n chips shops why they buy Russian cod. They say that the fish are bigger and less expensive and the supplies are more reliable and consistent. I can't argue with them as it's their area of business; but it seems crazy that the UK fishing fleet is on it's knees.

Much of the frozen cod we buy in UK supermarkets is from China. I refuse to buy it. It's not so many moons ago we were having scuffles with Icelandic trawlers and now we import as much from them as we catch ourselves.

https://planet-tracker.org/cod-astrophe ... e-squeeze/

What is really crazy is that a lot of the fish imported from China is actually caught in the North Atlantic ( even off Scotland ) and sent to China where it is filleted, packed and frozen by near to slave-labour earning the equivalent of £1 a day then exported as packed frozen fish back to UK supermarkets !!!. The supermarkets are making huge profit from it and we are condoning the use of near to slave labour. It's all about profit margins.

It would probably be as cheap to buy it as a consumer if the whole process was undertaken in the UK; but the costs in getting it prepared, frozen and packaged would reduce the profit margins to the supermarkets drastically. The same ( it would appear) goes to the fresh cod market in the UK.
Site Admin

09 Feb 2021 21:46 pm:

Another drain on the exchequer, but perhaps there should be a scheme that rewards low food miles generally?

The figures in the linked article are eye-opening, catching fish, selling it, then buying it more of it back ready sliced and diced in packaging that we also then have to deal with, or export somewhere.

We will never compete with China and friends, we can only exert influence by reducing our dependencies on them.. (says me with a new macbook..)
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 23:22 pm:

It is widely known that Johnson lies for a living and the disappointment of the fishermen boils down to the specific lies he told when leading the brexit campaign which he claimed was a way to take back control of the United Kingdom’s destiny including as an “independent coastal state with full control of our waters.” Fishermen voted to leave in droves, and given the closeness of the final vote this 'promise' may well have been a crucial factor in the outcome. It is certainly baffling how such a well documented liar (see the just released book by ex Daily Mail journalist Peter Oborne 'The Assault on Truth: Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and the emergence of a new moral barbarism) has any creditability whatsoever, Oborne suggests it is because "mainstream newspaper reporters and editors... collectively turn a blind eye to (his) lies, misrepresentations and falsehoods". He thinks the same happens on TV with Kuenssberg and Peston two of the culprits. This from a journalist who once avidly supported Johnson. Doubtless Severus for one will agree!
Hall of Famer

10 Feb 2021 10:48 am:

Agreed lucifer. What surprises me isn't the lies themselves that was well documented, it's the people (such as the DUP or fisherman) being shocked at being lied to.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby