Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

Hall of Famer

Re: Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

08 Feb 2021 10:51 am:

It's a good pub conversation. I think Brady will be marked down as he plays such a localised sport.

For me if you look at the statistics Don Bradman has a test average so much higher than everyone else, he probably stands out. Of course it's impossible to say if hes better than top players from other sport.
Site Admin

08 Feb 2021 11:26 am:

Difficult one isn't it? Do you go on achievement, longevity, contribution to the game, role model, what they overcame to get there?

I'd like to suggest my top three is Sinbad, Deacs and Haze, but nobody is buying that.. ;)

I'm going for:

Muhammad Ali
Don Bradman
Michael Jordan
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 11:33 am:

Tiger Woods and Federer are some of the modern GOAT candidates for there respective sports.

Also shouldn't this thread be in the non-rugby section.
Keyser Sose

08 Feb 2021 11:35 am:

As said it is hard enough even within one sport. How you compare Grace/ Trumper/ Bradman/ sobers I have no idea. all games change so much over the years that the only comparison is probably within the same generation. I would have Gower over Gooch every time but one has the bigger stats. Comparing Ali against say Ronnie O'Sullivan becomes a fun pub time waster for me.
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 11:47 am:

John Surtees only person to have won world title on 2 and 4 wheels
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
First team regular

08 Feb 2021 11:56 am:

Michael Edwards
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 11:56 am:

I wouldnt even say that the GOAT is in the top 100! Yes, Tom Brady is a great winner, but you can't compare what he has achieved against people like; Michael Phelps, Muhammad Ali or Serena Williams. Although it is difficult to compare over vastly different sports, Richie McCaw is more of a legend than Tom Brady if you wanted to bring similar skills into consideration.
Turns out for the A team

08 Feb 2021 12:02 pm:

Rupert Harden??
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 12:03 pm:

Think that's a very rugby centric view of it. Brady achievements massively outshine mccaw.

Tom Brady is the most successful NFL franchise of all time.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 12:09 pm:

Michael Jordan for me - by a country mile. Only person close is Tom Brady - incredible record, in a sport that makes long term success very difficult.
Next

Return to Not Rugby