Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

Hall of Famer

Re: Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

09 Feb 2021 12:20 pm:

Indeed, Bolt is definitely in the healthy scepticism category akin to FloJo. It's a shame really.
Site Admin

09 Feb 2021 13:14 pm:

Eddie the Eagle.. nope. 100% serious. The greatest sportsman of all time.

sort of.

He was laughed at, considered an embarrassment by his own sporting body, never going to even compete with the big boys, let alone win anything.. did he give up? no chance. Did he inspire? totally. All the things you want to teach your kids, following dreams, working hard, never giving up, challenging the system and it's administrators when it fails you. and so on..

Legend.

And while i'm at it.. Oscar Figeruoa.
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 13:51 pm:

Hmm there have been some sports men that transcend the sport they compete in itself:

Usain Bolt, Micheal Jordan (don't forget he stopped at his peak to do baseball and came back), Jonah Lomu, Federer, Serena Williams, Muhammed Ali

Then I think you have the likes of Steve Redgrave, Laura Trott, Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Micheal Johnson, Messi, Jim Clark (in my opinion the greatest racing driver UK has ever produced - yes I consider him better than Hamilton)
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 14:12 pm:

lovejoy wrote:Indeed, Bolt is definitely in the healthy scepticism category akin to FloJo. It's a shame really.

There is absolutely not 1 iota of evidence against UB who was tested ad nauseam when competing. Unlike Flo-Jo.

Therefore not a shame except for you who only sees thing from your narrow perspective.

What could have been a good thread descends into daft suggestions (Eddie the Eagle and Phil Taylor) and your usual attitude. That is the shame.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 15:16 pm:

GM, when I googled Flo jo last night it stated that she was subjected to many drug tests and not a trace of anything ever found. Admittedly testing then not as sophisticated as it is now but for me have to go on hard evidence not supposition.
I share your stance on Eddie the eagles name even being connected with this thread. I’m not diminishing what he did as it took some balls but the worlds greatest ever sportsman? Really??
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 15:46 pm:

Fair enough. Luckily Flo Jo didn't have a post-mortem !!

Main difference between UB and Flo Jo is their respective time at the top of their sports.

Silly to say but UB's "lightning bolt" stance must have become a global phenomenon and trademark - something that transcended mere sport and elevated him into more of a global figure than just a runner. Ali had similar traits.

Others mentioned pale into insignificance but we must bear in mind is it GOAT of their specific sport ie; Redgrave and rowing, Taylor and darts OR sport per se ?? I think KPB's poll should be the latter and that will obviously be subjective.

In whatever case Eddie the Eagle will never feature !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 15:53 pm:

Agreed, for me the 2 most famous athletes in world sport are Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. MJ still Nike biggest apparel seller 15 or so years after he retired
Site Admin

09 Feb 2021 16:10 pm:

It was a bit tongue in cheek, Eddie the eagle (as if you couldn’t tell!)..

Just goes to show, you can exhibit great qualities but not be recognised as one of the greats.. all a matter perspective I suppose.

The big names attract all the attention, because of their elevated profile, while there are probably unsung heroes worthy of equal praise in every town and village across the land..

Interesting that we’ve talked about the greatest of all time and there’s a (generous) shortlist of less than a dozen names..
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
Previous

Return to Not Rugby