Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

Re: Greatest Sports People of all Time (Slightly OT)

08 Feb 2021 22:48 pm:

Lurker wrote:Phil "the Power" Taylor?

Personally, whilst I like watching the darts, in don't actually class it as a Sport, more a hobby. However he'd be my choice for darts.
aka John Neary

08 Feb 2021 23:50 pm:

I'll nominate Tyson Fury. I'm not a fan of boxing at all, but he won all the Titles, then descended into drug and alcohol abuse caused by depression. He then got his life back on track and became World Champion again. Yes Boxing is a brutal sport that should probably be banned but it does, via the many Clubs in poorer areas, take kids of the street and channels their aggression into something positive. Yes it's over hyped, but what sport isn't? The prize money may be excessive for a maximum of 30mins but that money is dwarfed by the pay per view cash it generates and I can't see any other Sport replicating the money involved.
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 07:31 am:

Whilst what Tyson Fury has done is admirable I don’t think he is in this discussion of the greatest sportsman of all time.
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 07:40 am:

Lurker wrote:Phil "the Power" Taylor?

Not a sport
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 08:03 am:

A pub game....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 08:34 am:

DieTrying wrote:I'll nominate Tyson Fury. I'm not a fan of boxing at all, but he won all the Titles, then descended into drug and alcohol abuse caused by depression. He then got his life back on track and became World Champion again. Yes Boxing is a brutal sport that should probably be banned but it does, via the many Clubs in poorer areas, take kids of the street and channels their aggression into something positive. Yes it's over hyped, but what sport isn't? The prize money may be excessive for a maximum of 30mins but that money is dwarfed by the pay per view cash it generates and I can't see any other Sport replicating the money involved.

Umm no. Plenty of sportsmen have overcome adversity to get themselves back to the top, look at what Tiger Woods went through prior to his most recent Masters win, but it doesn't really put Fury in the Frame for greatest of all time. He's yet to even conclusively prove he is the best heavyweight boxer of this era so he is a million miles away from being greatest sportsman of all time.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 09:44 am:

Not1eyed wrote:Crasher, correct me if I wrong but flo jo never failed a drug test.
If she did then of course she’s out the equation

Nor did Lance Armstrong. I think we can file them as healthy scepticism.

Ed Moses. Jahangir Khan.
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 11:06 am:

Lance Armstrong might not have actually failed a drug test but he did completely 'fess up on TV.

IMO anyone who has been guilty/linked to PEDs or other cheating in their sport simply cannot be considered as GOAT.

Those from dodgy sports like cycling, weightlifting, boxing and athletics who do naturally excel over many years without resort to drugs stand out even more.

Going back a bit the footballer Ferenc Puskas rather stood out.........but I accept he was a while back to many on SW.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 11:23 am:

or Alfredo Di Stefano, GM?
Hall of Famer

09 Feb 2021 11:45 am:

Interesting GM but I think if you look there are conspiracy theories and sceptics of most athletes so think you have to go on proof.
You nominated (correctly in my opinion) Usain Bolt.
Of The fastest 10 100m runners (by time) of all time 9 have failed drug tests, only 1 that hasn’t is the fastest of the lot. That would make some sceptical of Bolt.
Someone said Eddie the Eagle, please tell me that’s a joke!!
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby