Who is the greatest...?

Who is the Shedweb Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

Poll ended at 13 Feb 2021 14:38 pm

Mohammed Ali
17%
Eddie Merckx
33%
Usain Bolt
50%
Diego Maradona
No votes

Total votes : 6

Who is the greatest...?

08 Feb 2021 14:38 pm:

Here's how it will work.

1) Someone nominates a GOAT athlete and candidate and must include a reason statement....XYZ is the greatest of all time because.....
2) Someone else must second that candidate

When someone has been nominated and seconded they will go into the poll .....you may vote once in the poll.

At the end of the week ( or before if necessary) I will take the the top ten nominees into the Shedweb Goat Poll. If the nominee is still alive and contactable I will contact them for a brief statement.

(You can only nominate once and second once in the poll. But you may nominate and second different people and vote for a third if you want to be fickle)

Nominate away......and I will start creating a poll.

Or ignore it and I'll delete it....
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

Re: Who is the greatest...?

08 Feb 2021 14:41 pm:

Muhammad Ali. Not sure it needs much justification. Quite simply the most iconic sportsman of the 20th century and transcended his sport beyond what he achieved in the ring. Was the greatest heavyweight in an era when being the Heavyweight Champion of the World was the highest accolade in sports.
Keyser Sose

08 Feb 2021 14:44 pm:

Mohammed Ali seconded...he's my icon and choice. Not just because of boxing skills but for his fight against the establishment and the work done in the community in his name...
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 14:51 pm:

John Surtees - 4 times motorcycle World Champion and one time Formula One World Champion - only person to be WC on 2 and 4 wheels (and this was in the era when the life expectancy was not many races!)
If the world was a really rational place, it would be men that would ride side saddle
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 14:53 pm:

Always amuses me about Ali - I've met people who claimed he was the greatest boxer but when probed, they confessed they never actually seen an Ali fight. Must have had a great PR team!!!

Not as nice a guy as many think - watched a documentary about him and Joe Frazier - what Ali did to Frazier automatically disqualifies him from any 'greatest' consideration in my mind. Not a good person.
Vice-Captain

08 Feb 2021 14:55 pm:

Ok I'll nominate Eddy Merckx.
More Grand Tours than anyone else, more monuments than anyone else. Three World Championships. Won every classic bar Paris-Tours.
500+ pro wins (which is an obscene amount higher than anyone else) at an amazing strike rate.
Plus it might have all been a lot better if he hadn't suffered an injury in 1969, when his motorbike pacer died, following which Merckx said he never again felt comfortable on a bike.
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 15:33 pm:

Usain Bolt is my nominee. 8-time Olympic and 11-time World gold-medalist between 2009-16 including 3 different Olympic Games. Improved the 100m World Record by the biggest % margin.

Was an iconic sporting figure globally.

Competed in a sport that anyone who wants to can participate in irrespective of race, gender, geography or money.

A regularly tried and tested non-drugs cheat throughout his career in a sport that frankly encouraged cheats.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 15:35 pm:

Tim in Shropshire wrote:Ok I'll nominate Eddy Merckx.
More Grand Tours than anyone else, more monuments than anyone else. Three World Championships. Won every classic bar Paris-Tours.
500+ pro wins (which is an obscene amount higher than anyone else) at an amazing strike rate.
Plus it might have all been a lot better if he hadn't suffered an injury in 1969, when his motorbike pacer died, following which Merckx said he never again felt comfortable on a bike.

I second Merckx. In his first Tour de France he won yellow jersey, the king of the mountains jersey, the points jersey (also known as the sprinters jersey and is very unusual for a GC contender to win since they tend to be the mountain goats) and would've won the young riders jersey if that existed at the time. Went on to set the record for 34 tour stages, 5 Tour wins, 5 Giro wins,a Vuelta win, 19 classics wins (including three Paris-Roubaix) and the hour record. No one else will ever come close.
Hero in the making

08 Feb 2021 15:39 pm:

Eddy Merckx - me too - you two too fast for me!

The man that won everything - season opening warm up races to end of year world champs - and dominated so much he earned the sobriquet 'the Canniball'

All 3 grand tours: 5 x Tour de France + 5x Giro + Vuelta
All 5 of the cycling "Monuments" - the one day races
The hour record
The World champs x3

Over 500 victories and 18 yrs a pro.
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 15:47 pm:

steckers wrote:Always amuses me about Ali - I've met people who claimed he was the greatest boxer but when probed, they confessed they never actually seen an Ali fight. Must have had a great PR team!!!

Not as nice a guy as many think - watched a documentary about him and Joe Frazier - what Ali did to Frazier automatically disqualifies him from any 'greatest' consideration in my mind. Not a good person.

Who said anything about him being nice?
Keyser Sose
Next

Return to Not Rugby