Who is the greatest...?

Who is the Shedweb Greatest Sportsman of All Time?

Poll ended at 13 Feb 2021 14:38 pm

Mohammed Ali
17%
Eddie Merckx
33%
Usain Bolt
50%
Diego Maradona
No votes

Total votes : 6

Hall of Famer

Re: Who is the greatest...?

08 Feb 2021 15:55 pm:

It would be naive to not recognise that the public perception of his likeable personality isn't a big factor when people talk about Ali.

I struggle to believe that anyone is claiming he is the best in terms of boxing ability.
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 15:59 pm:

People liking his personality and that personality being likable are slightly different. He was a charismatic, brash showman and publicly quite rude to friends and foe.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 16:02 pm:

KPB - puzzled. I voted for ANON who is now Eddy Merx !! I would like to vote for Bolt please.

Also why has nominated/seconded Ali got no votes - 2 surely.

I also assumed it was Sporting GOAT not Sporting Personality OAT ...... big difference.
Last edited by Gloucester Mute on 08 Feb 2021 16:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

08 Feb 2021 16:15 pm:

GM they were placeholders for names that get nominated and seconded and list should now grow longer...I didn't expect anyone to vote for Forename Surname or etc etc... :D

Also I did say at the outset that just because someone nominates that doesn't preclude changing their mind to an alternative...e.g. I nominated Ali but should Eric Stephens make the list I might have to think twice about where my shortlisting vote ends up ;)

As for the definition of Greatest...there's a whole debate right there....it can be what you want it to be....I'm beginning to think this isn't a good idea...
I'd love to agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong....
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 16:42 pm:

Good idea but sadly very little take-up !!
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 16:53 pm:

Gloucester Mute wrote:KPB - puzzled. I voted for ANON who is now Eddy Merx !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 17:03 pm:

Have to go with the Cannibal as well, could of won a 6th TdF if the hadn't been punched by a tw*t on his way up the Puy de Dôme. I don't think anybody has dominated a sport for so long as Eddy Merckx did
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 17:36 pm:

If its purely numbers then look no further than Jahangir Khan. Former world squash number 1 who won 555 matches in a row over a 5 year period. Arguably the most dominant sportsman of all time.
Keyser Sose
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 17:44 pm:

Edwin Moses?
Hall of Famer

08 Feb 2021 18:22 pm:

Mo farah
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby