Nurses pay rise

Re: Nurses pay rise

08 Mar 2021 11:49 am:

I can't divulge details but rest assure that the UK Gov were in a race to secure PPE & vaccines - by hook or by crook they managed to beat most other countries. The vaccine situation is a noteworthy success for the UK. But we've seen how others have and continue to behave, so in some ways the Gov using their contacts to secure equipment early, using nepotism, has actually been good for us.

If they'd left it to go through the drawn out tender / procurement process we would have been left behind as other countries were more than prepared to get in first and ignore any due process.

There was (& still is actually) a global dutch auction going on for equipment and vaccine details. Someone was always going to benefit financially, if in doing so we've put ourselves ahead of the game then so be it.

I would add that the UK is doing it's best to keep cyber hackers out of upsetting our apple cart too. There are plenty of so called friends trying to gain information and / or stop the UK's vaccine program.
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 15:09 pm:

Agree they did very well on vaccines - any connection with the process being conducted in house?

08 Mar 2021 17:59 pm:

Speed.

Pretty much the same is going on elsewhere in the world - the "I know X, so we'll use them" etc....but the one aspect about the UK's approach is that it's worked / working. There are actually very few Governments buying from organisations they've never dealt with before - getting the job done quickly does sometimes depend on "relationship", which has benefitted the UK when buying vaccine's. The German Gov are still squabbling over price with suppliers and being extremely slow with vaccinations as a result.

We don't have PPE shortages - many other countries do.
We are way ahead of any other country when we consider the actual numbers for vaccination.

There is a Gov Dept however looking at the contracts now and where they find irregularities they are acting. In a couple of instances PPE was bought, albeit quickly, but it wasn't the correct spec - the Gov will probably see some money returned to them as a result.
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 19:19 pm:

You are conflating the vaccine process with the PPE process. Just because the vaccine process is an apparently success does not mean that throwing money to new start companies often connected to party donors to secure PPE outside normal procurement procedures, was appropriate. You say a government department is looking at this, I think I’d prefer an independent review.

Your statement that there wasn’t any PPE shortage is off the scale revisionism. This was a major issue in the spring last year.

Also we aren’t “way ahead of any other country in absolute numbers vaccinated” either done on a per capita basis (Israel) or in absolute numbers (USA). Whoever is giving you this inside information is lying to you.

Why do you post things that are so obviously wrong?
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 19:25 pm:

That's somewhat like asking the police to investigate themselves ......... oh, wait a minute. That will go the same way as the supposed investigation into the handling of the pandemic. Our government bought from a number of organisations they'd never dealt with before, a number of them Chinese if you remember. We aren't "way ahead of every country" with vaccines, Israel has a higher percentage of vaccinated people and the US has vaccinated more than us. And let's not forget where we are in the world for Covid deaths and how well our economy has done subsequently.
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 19:48 pm:

I think maybe Lewi meant "relatively" ie; in comparison to our peers in Europe. Citing Israel is an anomaly because they got special "trial" allocation of vaccines.

It may not suit your political agenda but relatively UK has fared well recently in comparison. Plus probably overstated deaths compared to many whom have underestimated and/or covered up larger death numbers for political reasons.

Lovejoy - Thank God we did use relationships to get things sorted ASAP. That is how capitalism works. Plus I am sure when time actually allows that there will be thorough investigations and monies being returned..
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
On the board

08 Mar 2021 20:05 pm:

Well said Lewi.

It's not great 'optics', but what was necessary to save lives at the time and it's not as if they've tried to cover it up. I think they took the correct moral decision at the time, knowing that it would be the lesser of two evils.

I'd be interested to know who these 'friends' are.
If it's wet, drink it.

08 Mar 2021 20:33 pm:

Quite.

As I say the Gov could have stuck to the established procurement process for PPE and been left behind when it comes to PPE.

Yes, there were shortages, as know-one had planned, by no-one I mean any country, for the scale that hit the NHS & associated healthcare. But once that problem was identified the UK Gov acted. Some Countries are still struggling by the way with PPE.

We didn't get it all right that's for sure, but then no-one has - everyone has learnt as they've gone along to some extent, some better than others.

The UK Gov is also desperate for money, they are slowly but surely recovering money - it won't be huge numbers but it'll better than nowt and it'll go some way to correcting some contracts. As I say though, there was and still is a global dutch auction for both PPE & vaccines.

The amount of inbound cyber attacks on the UK has increased hugely from organisations and countries alike. 1). they want what we've got & 2). if they can't get it they are doing what they can to cause us problems.
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 21:38 pm:

Strange then how the money was thrown more at companies with no track record and connected to government donors and friends rather than those with experience in that area.
You are defending the indefensible.
Hall of Famer

08 Mar 2021 22:55 pm:

Can you name any/all the lucky and fortunate unqualified party donors and friends who benefitted + the Govt individuals who signed-off massive contracts with their crones ??

I am sure there are some people/firms that utilised Govt contacts and used business nous and opportunity. We have nearly all done same to certain degrees - a quiet word and introduction.

And across the political spectrum. I have read some very interesting articles about Liverpool, the Mayor's office, local councillors, Unite and construction firms.........

It is ironically the way the world mainly goes around......and all we can hope is that the investigation sorts out the crooks from the chancers.
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby