Nurses pay rise

Hall of Famer

Re: Nurses pay rise

08 Mar 2021 23:06 pm:

Neilio44 wrote:Well said Lewi.

It's not great 'optics', but what was necessary to save lives at the time and it's not as if they've tried to cover it up. I think they took the correct moral decision at the time, knowing that it would be the lesser of two evils.

I'd be interested to know who these 'friends' are.

Neilo, not tried to cover it up? They had to be dragged through the courts to get them to reveal who the companies were and what the process was. The 'friends' are made up of donors to the Conservative Party, personal friends and acquaintances, hence the 'chumocracy' as it's been called.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 09:18 am:

NameS and links ??
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!

09 Mar 2021 09:43 am:

As I say, it got the job done much earlier than it otherwise have been. Having been involved in many tenders / RFP's over the years sometimes the best or cheapest solution doesn't always win, it's where the best relationship exists, where trust exists, to get the job done.

Yes, we could have gone through the proper due process and a company unknown to Gov may have produced the best solution and service, but if they were untested and you had no relationship with them would you award them the contract given the immediate need ?

No of course not. Using contacts the Gov got the job done in the context of a global dutch auction, which is still ongoing.

We could talk of Blair's Gov awarding contracts to Capita, or Unions writing off loans to Labour MP's etc.....
Hall of Famer
Location: Sent to Coventry - Well someone's got to live here!

09 Mar 2021 10:32 am:

We were in the $h1t, big time at the beginning of the pandemic, with a serious shortage of PPE, seriously under prepared in advance, which is another issue entirely. Faced with this and rightly getting some serious flack, the government had to do absolutely everything they could to procure everything they could. This in a global market, where the whole world was in the same boat. You may recall that they really were getting stuff from anywhere, with knicker factories turning over to PPE production, Brew Dog producing sanitiser and so on. In that situation, a few dodgy dealers will have inevitably got in on the act. It wasn't that long until lack of PPE was no longer top of the news agenda.

Things had to be done with undue haste, it's paid off big time with vaccinations. A similar situation has occurred with the furlough scheme, set up in great haste, now we're hearing of unscrupulous companies milking it. It's going to happen, hopefully they will eventually be brought to book.
Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems. - Homer Simpson.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 10:53 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:NameS and links ??

GM, we've been over this ground so often but as you ask https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... government

09 Mar 2021 16:43 pm:

& both publications are always 100% anti Tory, you'd hardly expect anything less from them. Although I did the Gradian say something positive about the vaccines and Brexit recently which surprised me.

Covglaws - spot on. The Gov, through different routes are going through the PPE contracts and fraudulent furlough applications and business grant money now. Where the Gov can regain any money they will. There are few cases of legal action being brought against individuals too with a few that have already been successful. Rishi the Rottweiler is a term that's started being used.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 18:24 pm:

lucifer wrote:
Gloucester Mute wrote:NameS and links ??

GM, we've been over this ground so often but as you ask https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... government

So 3 alleged companies and their "crime" - being previous Tory donors. They legally used their Govt contacts to create business opportunities. That is not a crime and is done every day of the week by '000's of people/businesses. Of all political hues....
Nothing wrong with free speech or having an opinion - as long as it matches mine !!
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 19:04 pm:

Did I say it was a crime? However I believe these contracts have to go through due process and the whiff of corruption (which is a crime) is rather akin to an obnoxious stink bomb being dropped nearby. A public enquiry is underway, but if the government have any say in its composition don't hold your breath.
Hall of Famer

10 Mar 2021 19:56 pm:

In PMQs today Boris Johnson said that Labour opposed the 2.1% pay increase (that he has subsequently reneged on). This is a lie.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby