Nurses pay rise

Hall of Famer

Re: Nurses pay rise

10 Mar 2021 21:47 pm:

lovejoy wrote:In PMQs today Boris Johnson said that Labour opposed the 2.1% pay increase (that he has subsequently reneged on). This is a lie.

Unfortunately that's standard practice for Johnson.
Hall of Famer

10 Mar 2021 22:59 pm:

I don’t understand how the system can allow this to continue to happen, surely the Speaker has some powers to call people to account? The bare minimum is they should require a retraction in a statement on the floor of the house.
Last edited by lovejoy on 11 Mar 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer

11 Mar 2021 11:51 am:

It's ironic that the parsimony of the nurses' proposed pay increase is published at the same time as details of the report by the parliamentary spending watchdog, showing that what Johnson trumpeted as a "world beating" test and trace programme (to prevent a 2nd lockdown - we're currently well into the 3rd!) has made, at best, only a marginal contribution to reduced Covid infections. This shambles has so far cost £22 billion and rising with private consultants on £6,624 a day. So it's OK for the government to squander billions giving huge contracts to its mates who immediately sub contracted and employed loads of temporary staff on the minimum wage/zero hours contracts rather than involving local authorities and NHS primary care bodies who already had the networks , experience and expertise, but when it comes to rewarding those who put their lives on the line and suffered many deaths all they offer is praise and a scrooge like offer.
Hall of Famer

17 Mar 2021 09:08 am:

How much does a nuclear warhead cost?
Hall of Famer

17 Mar 2021 10:24 am:

More than a few nurses I'd wager, money for that no problem it seems.
Hall of Famer

17 Mar 2021 14:08 pm:

What you see is what you get
You've made your bed, you better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
You'll see kidney machines replaced by rockets and guns
Hall of Famer

19 Mar 2021 12:02 pm:

I have done the figures for you. Annual cost of Trident replacement is about £1bn a year, over the projected 35-40 year lifespan or 0.2% of government expenditure. The NHS spends annually about £50bn on wages for 1.3m employees. If we spent Trident on the NHS, then each employee would see an increase of about £300 a year (once cost of employment was factored in) or in other words a pay increase of about 0.8%. I am not sure where the other missing 11.7% increase that the NHS demand is coming from, but scraping Trident isn’t the answer.

There are some nations out there who wish the UK harm. Having a cheap effective deterrent that stops nations from annihilating the UK does not have a price. Nations maybe able to wipe the UK of the map, but our enemies would think twice when they have 800 bits of instant sunshine descending on them in retaliation. £1bn a year is nothing on the grand scheme of things and is very cheap, about £10 of the tax you pay each year, or 3p a day.
Hall of Famer

20 Mar 2021 10:05 am:

'He sent his men all over England' - William I Gloucester 1086
Previous

Return to Not Rugby