Harry and Meghan's TV interview

Hall of Famer

Re: Harry and Meghan's TV interview

09 Mar 2021 13:21 pm:

Sorry, but if someone could point out where someone has quoted something about Mrs Windsor / Wales from the MSM, then that would be great. As far as I am aware the only comments have been made on anything she said from Sunday.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 15:02 pm:

It is sad that the Royal family is being accused of racism by a privaliged individual. Thanks to our own Americanised discourse, we’re forced to see everything through the narrative of race rather than the more salient issue of class. In the UK class differences were far more important than race, as demonstrated by British courts reaffirming in World War 2 that segregation did not and could not exist in England.

In 1820 the average male died at the age of 16 in Liverpool, a slave in Trinidad died at the aveage age of 18, wheres the white privalige in that? I see class structure in evidence, but zero evidence of racism. How about the first mixed race MP to sit in the House of Commons? It was 30 years before the first working class person.

The House of Windsor, whatever their other faults, have always stood for what most regard as basically decency on the subject of race. Of course the whole idea that we have a hereditary monarchy is absurd when you think about it, having to doff our caps to them etc. But as we need someone to act as the Head of State, then the Royal Family do a bloody good job of it, make a £200m in the + colum of UK PLC and you have to admire their dignafied silence on the issue.

So yeah, I do get a bit peed off when someone who had a private education, lives most little girls dreams of being a Princess and then accuses the Family that I swore alegence to of racism.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 16:10 pm:

I think we should be accurate here Tigerchef. She recounted a story with racist undertones - the story actually was from Harry who then told his wife. So if you doubt the story - you actually doubt Harry not Megan.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 16:36 pm:

I totaly agree, lets be accurate.

“The most important title I will ever have is his mom, and I know that,” she said. “But it was the idea of our son not being safe and also the idea of the first member of color in this family not being titled in the same way that other grandchildren would be.”

Archie is a Great-Grandchild of HM The Queen. The only Great-Grandchildren to have the Royal Title of Prince or Princess are in direct line to the thrown. Archie is not in direct line to the thrown. Mike Tindals children are not Prince and Princess. These are undisputed facts, so why does she think that Archie should be a Prince?

Meghan said that her concern was that the desire to deny Archie a title might be related to the concerns about his potential skin tone, as the son of the biracial duchess. “We have in tandem the conversation of, ‘He won’t be given security. He’s not going to be given a title,’” she said, “And also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

“It was really hard to be able to see those as compartmentalized conversations, that if you were to be brown that would be a problem,” Meghan said. “I wasn’t able to follow up with why, but that if that’s the assumption you’re making, I think that feels like a pretty safe one, which is really hard to understand, right?”

It must be hard for Meghan to understand that it doesnt matter what colour her child was, they werent getting a title. She assumed that this was because the child may be brown. I am not going to discuss security of the Royal Family on a public forum either.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 16:37 pm:

When Harry joined the conversation at the halfway point, he added a bit of context to that moment. He explained that the conversation about skin color—“What will the kids look like?”—happened before they were married.

The skin tone comment was so offensive and ominous to Harry because it came alongside comments that implied Meghan would not be welcome in the family. “That was right at the beginning when she wasn’t going to get security, when members of my family were suggesting that she carries on acting because there’s not enough money to pay for her,” he said. “There were some clear, obvious signs that this was going to be very hard."

If someone in my family said that about my wife, they would be picking up their teeth with broken fingers.

09 Mar 2021 16:55 pm:

I think the issue comes when you see / hear the comments about entitlement and how awful life was / is for them - I think there's a few million in this country that might want to discuss that with them.

The comments about title, money, colour, trapped, didn't google HRH Harry etc - don't believe it I'm afraid. She didn't get what she wanted and is now playing the spoilt brat. Her Father, with whom she has a strained relationship with and her Sister have both commented since, disagreeing with her.

MM says she couldn't get help - really ?
They want privacy, well they say they do - but are doing a huge amount in the public eye which is a completely hypocritical position to take.

Having had a friend, a women, who committed suicide in early Dec last year I don't need any patronising remarks about my comments.
Vice-Captain

09 Mar 2021 17:37 pm:

tigerchef wrote:In 1820 the average male died at the age of 16 in Liverpool, a slave in Trinidad died at the aveage age of 18, wheres the white privalige in that?

You missed out a couple of words there - the stat you have used refers to factory workers, not all male Liverpudlians, whose life expectancy was slightly over 40 (or double that of a Trinidadian slave).
https://spartacus-educational.com/U3Ahistory21.htm
Rugby, music, beer inanities @adamashby
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 18:20 pm:

Adam, you are quite correct. I was quoting figures of the average mortality age in 1820 of workers in those, dark satanic mills.

If you ever fancy it, have a wander round Frampton or Eastington graveyards and have a look at the ages of those that died. I think you may find it quite humbling. I certainly did when I searched my family's history and found that the average farm could only support 4 adults. The youngest children when old enough were just sent away to fend for themselves. Poverty in the 1800 and 1900s was a real thing. Have a read of Cider with Rosie.

Or should I check my white privilege that many of mine and many others on here's distant relations died through starvation, caused by poverty and a class system? Meghan is at the top of that class system, so please forgive me for not being able to understand the horror she was forced to go through.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 19:54 pm:

I'm certainly not interested in a discussion about race - and whilst it's grabbed the headlines, it's a fairly small part of this story.

Tigerchef - is your point that white people have it rough too? If so, agreed.

My main frustration is how the media have treated her from day 1. And her father is also clearly an oddball and that was evident pre-wedding.

I don't care if Archie is a prince but I would think protection is a reasonable expectation. He/they must be an obvious target for terrorism / kidnapping etc.

If anything we can all be grateful that Piers Morgan has resigned. At least 1 good thing has come out of all this.
Hall of Famer

09 Mar 2021 21:08 pm:

Steckers, I didn't know that about that C**t. You have cheered me up no end. I am just off to peel a few bells.

The T****r blocked me on Twitter a few years ago. Very proud moment in my life.

Rejoice!
Last edited by tigerchef on 09 Mar 2021 22:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Not Rugby