Over to Exeter?

Hall of Famer

Re: Over to Exeter?

02 Apr 2021 12:13 pm:

Sadly, I don't think such a line exists, look at the USA voting for Trump. I expect many vote for ideological reasons (free market, capitalism, liberalism) irrespective of who the leader is - the archetypal monkey in a blue suit would still get that vote. Some will vote out of perceived self interest - they think they will be better off under the Tories. For many others it will be the least worse of the options available, Corbyn had such a bad press that he was virtually unelectable, Starmer seems to have had a personality bypass, as well as muddling Labour's policy direction and to most voters the other parties stand no realistic chance of either getting into power or, under the first past the post voting system, being able to influence things anyway.
First team regular

02 Apr 2021 14:43 pm:

This thread is not Gloucester Rugby, it's politics.
Hall of Famer

02 Apr 2021 16:19 pm:

Lebowski wrote:Out of interest do you guys know what woke means?

From the Oxford English Dictionary: “woke, adjective: Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; frequently in stay woke.”

If you regard that as an insult?????????

Exactly, it’s been weaponised by the right as an insult. I’d also agree with the comments on here concerned with how far our country has lurched to the right in the last 10 years. London 2012 was such a joyous inclusive occasion and now we see how many nationalistic flags please have in their bedrooms. I have severe concerns about our country and the path we are on.

02 Apr 2021 16:31 pm:

Grandad's boy wrote:This thread is not Gloucester Rugby, it's politics.

That's why it's in the Not Rugby thread,
aka John Neary
Hall of Famer

03 Apr 2021 06:13 am:

Gloucester Mute wrote:Wokes 1 Society 0

Woke = someone aware of injustice.

So you would prefer a society made up of people without awareness of injustice. Imagine for a moment what that would be like.
Hall of Famer

03 Apr 2021 06:15 am:

Lebowski wrote:Out of interest do you guys know what woke means?

From the Oxford English Dictionary: “woke, adjective: Originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice; frequently in stay woke.”

If you regard that as an insult?????????

Indeed, using some as an insult is a massive red flag to me as what does it say about that person?
Previous

Return to Not Rugby