Forum - Android App

On a trial

Forum - Android App

02 Apr 2021 19:48 pm:

Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone found any Android apps that work with this forum? I've looked at a few apps that support PHPBB 3.0 (which i believe is the core framework of the forum) but cant get any of them working.

I know i can open it in my web browser on my phone, and there are web browsers add ons that will probablyrefrsh the page on a timer, but if there is a native app out there, It would just useful to have so we can all keep up with the conversation when a match is on.
ᚠᛖᚫᚱ, Rugby, MMA, F1, Airsoft, Dark Beer, Red Wine, Whisky .... sometimes in that order...
Site Admin

Re: Forum - Android App

02 Apr 2021 22:08 pm:

Hi,

There used to be an android app that scraped the site, but I can't remember what it was or if it's even still around..

There is a feature of the site I haven't made use of, or promoted before, however.. might be of use to you.

If you look at the following url: feed.php?f=9&t=12100

feed.php produces a feed (atom) using the forum and thread Ids from the querystring parameters. Those parameters are the same as you see when you are browsing a thread or just a forum, e.g. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12100

Hope that helps
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...

02 Apr 2021 22:22 pm:

I have a Samsung phone, so Android. I loaded the website, chose "view active topics" and then added it to the Home screen. Every time I open it, loads the latest. I'd expect IOS does the same, but can't be sure, as IOS/ Apple tends to be style over substance. :)
aka John Neary
On a trial

03 Apr 2021 09:17 am:

I must admit, i hadnt considered the RSS feed! I can confirm that i have now got two apps working:

1) Forums Reader - which does actually screape the site and return the seperate forums and the feed
2) RSS Reader - simple RSS list of the feed URL itself.

Thanks to you both for your help.
ᚠᛖᚫᚱ, Rugby, MMA, F1, Airsoft, Dark Beer, Red Wine, Whisky .... sometimes in that order...
Site Admin

03 Apr 2021 15:13 pm:

ok, that's interesting.. I haven't got any android devices, but there must be something equivalent in the apple app store, I'll have a play..

They're read-only I presume? be careful about putting your forum login into an app (sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs)
Hopefully, this text should be smaller and less prominent than the words above it...
On a trial

03 Apr 2021 19:18 pm:

shedwebadmin wrote:ok, that's interesting.. I haven't got any android devices, but there must be something equivalent in the apple app store, I'll have a play..

They're read-only I presume? be careful about putting your forum login into an app (sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs)

Yes, they pull the latest comments / posts to the feed and link to the forum if you want to reply. No creds are held in the app itself :mrgreen: :ugeek:

Return to Not Rugby